1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

All Greek to me

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by peter, May 13, 2020.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I came across this wording in a 17th century parish register. It's a long time since I studied Ancient Greek so could do with some help....

upload_2020-5-13_16-3-29.png

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It's all Greek to me too, but I consulted my resident linguist who knows some Greek and he offers the following:

It starts with "These were sought"
    and ends with "and they were not found"
    The 3rd & 4th words may be "of their writings" followed by "the genealogists", which is the subject of the sentence.

So overall possibly something along the lines of "The genealogists who wrote these things were sought but not found".

Does that fit with the context?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

It appears below baptism entries for 1672-74. Turning the page I found some more Greek at the top of the following page:

upload_2020-5-13_18-26-38.png

4. Pauline

That's a quote from the Gospel of John, part of Chapter 19 Verse 35 - translated in the New International Version as "The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true."

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. peter

The plot thickens!

6. Pauline

Without having seen the register, I wonder if the first comment might relate to entries which had been copied into it from some rough notes or someone's memory where the writer had been unable to verify the information or its source. Then the second comment relates to events he has witnessed and so can verify the entries to be correct.

Why the comments were written in Greek is anybody's guess!

7. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Possibly because clergymen would have had a grounding in both Latin and Greek and were familiar with the Greek New Testament.

8. Pauline

Yes, but why choose to use Greek here?

9. peter

Probably so that only those with a classical education, ie clerics, could read it?

• Agree Agree x 1