1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem with 1841 census entry

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by canadianbeth, May 12, 2020.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I just entered a 4th great uncle into LC, using the Ancestry links, but when I click on the little grey arrow I get zero results found. I believe it is probably due to the transcription from the actual page; the transcriber really "messed up" the first initial of his name and I cannot figure out just what he thought it was.

Can someone look at the 1841 Ancestry entry for George Startup born in 1801? Piece 459, book 13, folio 9, page 9 and see if you can figure out just what the transcriber put instead of an "S". I thought maybe a "Y" but could not decide what came after that.

Thank you.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you're getting zero results it's because the census references you've entered are wrong - perhaps you took them from the Ancestry transcript? Remember what it says on the Add Ancestor form for the 1841 Census:

"Note: the references in the transcription may be incomplete or wrong at Ancestry; see the FAQs page for an explanation of how to interpret the references shown in the census image."

About half of the time Ancestry get it wrong - usually the folio number. Findmypast almost always get the references right, but I still recommend reading them off the handwritten page since you have to look at it anyway in case the name or age have been transcribed incorrectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I've just looked at this for you and this is one of those entries where, as Peter suggests, Ancestry has got the folio number wrong. Here it should be folio 8 & page 9, and if you correct the folio number you will no doubt find the arrow finds the household for you.

EDIT: The surname is Startup - compare the initial letter with that on Samuel

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Thank you, Pauline. I changed it to 8 and the arrow now works. :) Interesting enough, on folio 8, page 8, George's father is listed, along with his daughter and her family.

It was very late last night by the time I had everything entered, and then to find out the arrows did not match was disheartening. I did check the page number on the transcript but did not know where to find the folio.

And I did see the Samuel above the Startup so that was another question as to why they did not match. Now to check on the rest of the senior George's family.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Nobody can be expected to remember all the ins and outs when there are 9 censuses, each of which requires a slightly different approach, and that's why I decided that it was crucial to have all the key information on the Add Ancestor form so that it there when it is needed (with links to the FAQs
    where necessary).