1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lost cousins dna connections

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Jeremy Wilkes, May 6, 2020.

1. Jeremy Wilkes

Jeremy Wilkes LostCousins Star

I noticed yesterday that one of the varieties of "relationship" offered when one enters a newly-found name from a census is "DNA research". I wonder what this is intended to cover. I have fairly recently made contact with a few cousins in varying possible degrees identified by autosomal DNA (most of them have answered and been helpful!). While waiting for one of them to get the result of a Y test, I have started to look into those lines that some or all share with me. I am not finding this the simplest of tasks, as their ancestry is Scottish, while most of my research for the first fifty years has been in England and Wales, but I am starting to learn. Should I be entering those of their paper-identified relations whom I find in censuses as DNA research?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I hadn't noticed this before you mentioned it, but having now looked, I see that if you select it you get the message "please contact LostCousins before use". So I guess we will have to wait for Peter's comments on this.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Please see this article from 2012.

4. sunflower

sunflower LostCousins Member

Having read this article which didn't apply to me at the time, I wonder if I can change several entries posted under possible relative to dna research. I am still in the process of trying to find out where I fit into this family as it is very significant being the closest apart from my sister and nephew, who also have the connection.