1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Disappointed by DNA

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by JennyMB, Jan 9, 2020.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Almost definitely a different mother, since my grandfather is "unknown" on my Dad's birth registration and my grandmother no longer worked at the same place. If the person who seduced my grandmother had other children at the time or later then they would be half-siblings. I doubt he followed her from place to place, given what I know about her, so my aunts' fathers would not be the same person. In the 1911 census she was working at the House of Mercy, Sisterhood, Clewer, as a laundry maid and one aunt was born two years later.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Just a thought, but is there anyone in CW's tree who comes from Woodford, regardless of dates that may match your unknown grandfather? CW may not have your grandfather in his tree, but if he is a 3rd (or even 2nd) cousin, he could well have your grandfather's parents (or if not, their parents) in his tree, and you could maybe look at them in the censuses and trace the family forward from there?

If you can find a possible link, however tenuous, you could try contacting CW again with the new information. Maybe one reason he hasn't replied is that he didn't know what to say as there was no apparent common ground between your trees.

3. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I have uploaded FT Dna to Living Dna . I have no matches very surprising .
    I am pleased with a year discount membership of Find my past .
    I have to be patient with Living Dna .
    I can go back to rereading the vague replies I received from Ancestry dna members .

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's not surprising to me - Living DNA have a very, very small database compared to other companies. My advice is to stick to Ancestry and follow my Masterclass - anything else is likely to be a waste of your time (and possibly your money too).

5. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I have uploaded my dna for free . I can spend 29 pound for more detail analyse of my dna .But I just will wait and see .

6. peter

Put your money towards an Ancestry DNA test - you'll be amazed by the results you get!

7. The title of this discussion grabbed my attention, I read through it just for interest sake.

It might/might not surprise you that people take a DNA test for reasons other than to match an ancestor in their tree. I know of somebody who took an Ancestry DNA test solely to find their birth father. It was successful. The person who took the test does not have a tree.

8. peter

Most people who take a DNA test are not actively researching their family tree - that's why so few have trees, and why the strategies in the Masterclass are designed to focus attention on genetic cousins who do have trees.