1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Easy to do if you never turn your computer off (I know you don't, you've said so in past discussion(s)).
    Most people in NZ are extremely conscious of their electricity use because it's an expensive commodity.
    My partner and I each have our own desk top computer and whenever we are not using them they are switched off.
    His is switched off now because he won't go back to it for another couple of hours.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Have you considered sleep mode as an alternative to power off? When in sleep mode, computers only use about 1-2 watts of power and re-activating is normally very quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Is that per hour?
    One of the recommendations for saving on power bills:
    You've turned your appliance off, so it's not using any power right? Wrong.
    Appliances left on standby power (TVs, radios, computer equipment and whiteware appliances) could be costing you about $100 a year in power bills.
    Once you've finished using a device, turn it off at the wall too.
    As my mother and her mother before her used to say, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
    When you are relying on the government pension for your weekly income every cent counts.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's easy to do whether you turn your computer off or not. When I start up Chrome it asks me if I want to restore my previous tabs - I almost always say yes. I have tabs open for LostCousins, the LostCousins Forum, Amazon, multiple tabs for Ancestry and Findmypast, sometimes one or more for FamilySearch etc etc. In my protected browser I have tabs for my banks.

I do have to reboot my computer now and again but it makes no difference - I still have tabs open from early this year. So power saving (and money saving) has absolutely nothing to do with it. Your choice of browser might - I don't know whether all other browsers have similar features (Opera certainly does).

5. Bryman

That may have been true at one time but modern appliances like TVs and computers use VERY little power when on standby. My 32" LED TV uses less than 1 watt when on standby. 1,000 watts for 1 hour is 1 unit of electricity. At week-ends and overnight, my cost is less than 12 NZ cents (6p) per unit. I leave you to do the simple sum based on your unit cost of supply.

6. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

That's time independent. Assuming you pay "per kilowatt hour" (the "unit charge"), an appliance running continuously using 2A at a unit charge of 15 (pence, cents ...) costs 262.8 (pence, cents ...) per annum.

7. Our appliances are all older than the power saving tip I quoted. We bought new appliances about 5 years ago, the tip was written in 2018.
    There isn't any way of finding out how much electricity we are using overnight or at any other specific time. Our charge is the same per unit regardless of when we use it.
    I do know that when we go away we turn as much off as possible, leaving only the 2 fridge/freezers and the Sky recorder on standby. Last November the daily cost for that was around NZD2.30 per day. I think we pay enough without adding further standby costs.

8. peter

If you want to discuss electricity savings there are better places on the forum. This particular discussion started because one member thought it was necessary to leave her computer on standby in order to keep browser tabs open - it isn't, so power usage isn't an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 95 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 21,838 new entries have been added and
    • 1,293 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week again which is always good news. We all love a great competition and this one seems to have sparked a great deal of interest. Well done everyone

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Remember to stay at home and social distancing. #Staysafe

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2020-4-17_10-8-44.png

10. peter

Especially well done, everyone, because the focus has been very much on the 1881 Censuses, which are the ones that produce the most matches. This week alone there have been more matches than in the whole of March - keep it up!

11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 37 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 13,511 new entries have been added and
    • 894 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week. But they are still a great set of figures. The competition is still running and the top prize has yet to be won!

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Remember to stay at home and social distancing. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-4-24_10-32-1.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 47 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,481 new entries have been added and
    • 655 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members up this week. But they are still a great set of figures. The competition has now finished, I wonder if anyone claimed the top prize?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-5-1_10-41-8.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. peter

Two bits of good news for forum members: because most of us are still under lockdown the competition has been extended to the end of May. And the top prize of £1000/$1000/€1000 has yet to be won, so there's a double incentive to enter more of your relatives from 1881.

14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 46 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 14,220 new entries have been added and
    • 681 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. So a reversal from last week, only New Members down this week, and that is only by 1. So another great set of figures. And the competition has not finished, who's going to win that top prize?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-5-8_11-40-53.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. peter

STAY AT HOME - ENTER RELATIVES - FIND COUSINS

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 12,121 new entries have been added and
    • 497 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Unfortunately all numbers are down this week, but they're still a great set of figures. And the competition has not finished, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-5-15_11-47-31.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  17. peter

Even if you don't win a prize you shou, or ld find some new cousins - and you can also qualify for Star, SuperStar, or MegaStar status on the forum.

Tip: when you qualify for one of these coveted titles you'll get a new Coupon Code on your My Summary page - enter this in your profile, and you'll be upgraded within 24 hours.

18. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 60 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 11,164 new entries have been added and
    • 578 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members and New Matches are both up this week. Well done everyone for matching with your Cousins!
    And the competition has not finished, who's going to win that top prize? Someone from the forum? Let's get busy entering all our relatives so we're in for a better chance of winning.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-5-22_10-43-54.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. peter

Well done everyone who is taking part in the competition. Remember that every match involves one member who has just entered a relative, and another who had entered it previously - it's not just the members who entered relatives last week who benefited from the matches, but also those who had the foresight to enter their relatives some time ago.

Entering more relatives could elevate you to Star status!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020
  20. Bryman

I keep trying but perhaps I missed the turning, went straight past and never realized. Maybe I should blame it all on loss of memory from some virus or other. I am finding it difficult to remember just where I have reached in my overall strategy, or if I ever had one. I thought that I had found a new 3rd cousin via my DNA analysis but he seems to be convinced that some of his ancestors are not as I have them recorded, so he doubts my conclusion. I thought that 3rd cousin was close enough to leave little room for doubt, but what do I know? Something else to blame on the government no doubt. Surely they can't all wriggle out of this one.