1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Best Way to Share...

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by OnlyMe, Mar 12, 2020.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe LostCousins Member

I would like to share branches of my tree with family living overseas but what is the best way to do this?? I have FTM so would asking them to buy a copy of FTM and then dropboxing the tree to them be the way? Or, do I put it on Ancestry and invite them as guests?

I do wish FTM would develop a better family tree chart that doesn't take pages & pages to print....

Any other ideas would be most welcome!

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

GEDCOM is the file format designed for tree-sharing. Never use a proprietary format unless you know that your relative owns the same program.

If your online tree is private be very careful about distributing copies. Sharing part of your tree - as you are proposing - is much safer. However I sometimes send a print-out in PDF format.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. I use Charting Companion, plugged in to my FTM which allows me to create family trees for individuals or only the branches I need.
    Examples:
    All descendants of one particular person for as many generations as you want.
    The direct line of one particular person for as many generations as you want.
    Ancestors and descendants of a particular person for as many generations as you want.

You can use the colours from FTM or choose from a selection.

You can find it here

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. OnlyMe

OnlyMe LostCousins Member

Looks a good option! The relatives are older and want a visual chart so this would fit the bill - Thank you!

5. That's OK but I'd suggest you do the free trial first.
    Good luck.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Also take a look at what Family Tree Analyzer can do.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1