1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

What sort of child is Hannah Goodman?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Whilst checking in an 1851 Census image for the street address in Worcester of my ancestor James Witts, wife Sarah and son William -and ignoring the male lodger - I found what looks like a last minute insert for a child ...Hannah Goodman aged 2 (described as infant), but of whom I know nothing,

But that aside for the moment can anyone translate what it says against her name - see highlighted extract below. It seems to say child at ???? but cannot make out the third word. It may or may not help me find out what she is doing in the Witts household, but I am at least curious.

(Also as I am not totally sure of Sarah's maiden name -although Goodman is not one of the options I have found to date - it may have some bearing on the child. On the other hand with an 11 year old son I do know about (implying married that amount of time), I doubt it is Sarah's child...plus her age of course)

upload_2020-2-4_10-2-52.png

2. Bob Spiers

(1)A birth check shows Hannah's mother appears to have been a 'Reynolds' and her surname is also unknown to me in this family context.
    (2) Sarah's occupation was Gloveress, so not a midwife or wet nurse in case anyone takes that route

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I think she's a nurse child.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I thought a gloveress was a female glove maker?

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, I should have explained that 'child at nurse' is a synonym for 'nurse child'. Try a Google search if you haven't come across the expression before.

6. Bob Spiers

Yes exactly and the occupation shown for Sarah in the Census of a city famous for glove making and providing employment for many of the women of Worcester. I merely wanted to establish that Sarah's occupation was not shown as Midwife or Wet Nurse (as I understood the term of a mother who breast feeds another's child, either as a family member or is paid for so doing). Had I found either term shown as an occupation -as I have before on many an occasion-doubtless I would not have queried the child's presence.

Peter's interpretation of the handwritten 'Child at Nurse' is I believe spot on as is his follow up that it is a variation of Nurse Child, a term I am less familiar with. I think the more open term 'nurse child' could be literally she was being nursed i.e. minded by Sarah whether with extended wet nursing or not is another matter and of no consequence to what I was trying to find out.

Also, I further believe (in fact know with the advantage of new research) Sarah was related to the mother of the child. I know this because in the 1871 census she has a Charles Goodman (nephew) aged 16 lodging with her, and almost certainly the brother of Hannah. Charles would have been 6 at the time of the previous Census and a scholar, whilst Hannah needed nursing. I have yet to establish the Goodman marriage connection, but that is another matter.

7. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I see that they are living in Witt's Yard and almost everyone living there is a Witt, so Bob in the words of Rudyard Kipling, keep your wits about you !! ;)

8. Bob Spiers

Oh you are cheeky Heather - but I like you.;) But you have remarked on something that was perfectly true, the brothers - and their families - not only lived together in a Yard bearing their name, but were the founding fathers (all Bricklayers) of J.Witts Builders and after John became a Master Builder, the firm became known as J. Witts Master Builders. (I am also fairly sure their building premises would have been in the Yard and likely the reason for its name). Those not bearing the Witts surname, had married a Witts daughter and the men had occupations relating to the building trade, e.g. carpenters, decorators, plasterers (Otherwise known as 'keep it in the family!)

My problem was trying to identify its location as it was not shown on Worcester maps dated 1880 & later. I knew it was named as such in both the 1851 & 1861 Censuses and that it led off Clement Street (in the St Clements area) and covered house numbers 161 to 166; after which they reverted Clement Street. I am still making discoveries including a very significant one that the Yard changed its name to Goodmans Yard in 1871 (and that also was not shown on later maps). But of course of significance of the name Goodman rang a bell, because that was the very surname name of the child which this posting was originally about. So, as you say, I must keep my wits about me and see where that takes me.