1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast has new look

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by peter, Dec 17, 2019.

?

What do you think of the new Findmypast look

1. Great improvement

2. Interesting

3. Makes a change

4. Makes no difference to me

5. Don't like it

6. Not sure yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I have your read your recommendations not to fill in birthplaces at FMP and I'm afraid have ignored same because it is second nature to enter a birthplace for me and my second nature wins every time. Besides I rarely enter more than a 'County' and Ancestry has no problems in accepting those, and I believe it even paves the way into getting a sensible result. (That Ancestry is quite capable of providing silly results for other reasons is not disputed, but another matter entirely).

I am afraid whilst the 'history' of FMP is useful knowledge, it is little consolation for having to think and rethink what should and should not be entered. I speak as I find, and I'm afraid I find FMP lacking in this particular aspect, even though, as I've said before and will again, it has many virtues; this just isn't one of them. Sorry.

2. Bob Spiers

I note what you say Helen but have to go offline now but have yet to be convinced it works like that.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bob, what you are saying is that you expect Findmypast to change in order to be more like Ancestry. I might equally bemoan the fact that Ancestry isn't more like Findmypast - because there are plenty of things I can do at Findmypast that won't work, or won't work nearly as well, at Ancestry.

Unfortunately we both have to accept the fact that sometimes it's easier to change what we do than to try to change the rest of the world. And a further reminder that when something doesn't work you can help others (and maybe yourself too) by investigating why this is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Putting aside all arguments about the virtues of FMP v Ancestry has anybody noticed that only 19 people have bothered to vote?
    A pretty poor outcome when, as Peter says, about 60,000 newsletters are sent out.

5. peter

It is a poor turnout, but bear in mind that only the 1800 or so members of the forum are eligible to vote - and not all of them will be Findmypast subscribers.

6. I'm not a current subscriber but I still had a look at it.

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

You don't have to reload anything, and I use the 50% off every year.

8. peter

But you're one of a handful of regular forum users - someone who rarely uses the forum (fewer than 10% of registered users have visited at all in the last month) and isn't a current subscriber to Findmypast would be extremely unlikely to make the effort.

9. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The new style menu bar is now appearing on all pages, including those that are otherwise in the old style. This is making all my pages load at 75% instead of just the new style pages, as previously. However, that isn't really a problem, just not what I'd prefer.

What has been causing a few issues is that on the old style pages the new menu bar pops in last after the rest of the page has loaded and is apparently ready to use. So if I select something at the top of the main page I find I've clicked something in the menu bar instead - usually the DNA link - and end up there instead.

At least I haven't ended up almost buying a DNA kit as has sometimes happened at Ancestry, when a DNA offer banner pops in unexpectedly at the last minute!

10. Bob Spiers

I really have no issue with you on FMP as a research entity, and even agree it excels in areas where Ancestry flounders. But, as I have said above, if conducting a Search from an Ancestors page (looking for say a Census or other media) then yes, my first choice would be Ancestry. More often than not it finds what I seek and requires minimum input from me as it has everything it needs from information already stored. If the results throw up ‘chaff’ then it is up to me to pick out the ‘wheat’

But for a ‘blind’ search -someone not in my Tree - then FMP would be the natural choice because it deals with such far better (birthplace input aside for the moment). If that fails then of course Ancestry must be tried before turning to Family Search, Free BMD or GRO. So, in short, it is horses for courses; that is what experience teaches.

What I seek from conducting searches is results in single figures, or low double. Not in multiple hundreds and heaven forbid, thousands. It seems both fair and logical to aid such results by maximising input, not minimising. Yet that is what you advocate, and FMP seems to relish. It goes against the natural order a bit like giving a description of a car to a policeman as a car or van of darkish colour, rather than a Blue Ford Fiesta.

My advice (as already given) is to use Ancestry first and foremost for getting additional information on an Ancestor (pick and choose from the results with caution). Or if conducting a blind search, (assuming you have a subscription) use FMP. Enter names, preferably a first and a surname (use name variants sparingly). Input date(s) (stay with +/-2 if possible). I like to enter a county birthplace (in the hope of minimising results) but if this does not work, and as Peter advises, leave it out and just hope and pray you are seeking an Emmanuel Goosetrotter and not a John or Mary Smith. If using Family Search or Free BMD than a county birthplace improves results not hinders.

11. Bob Spiers

I have lost count of the number of times that happens to me (inadvertently being taken to the menu bar). It causes me instant fury finding myself at the DNA link. I even have to caution myself to lower the mouse cursor to prevent this...until I forget of course and get taken to goodness knows where.

12. Bob Spiers

I now accept what you (and Helen) say (particularly about not needing to upload anew ), and understand the cost saving motivation. What I cannot understand is that Ancestry allow such. I know of at least one (non genealogical) subscription offering 'special discounted prices to new subscribers' where they have an embargo on anyone applying if they have been a previous subscriber within the last 6 months. For Ancestry not to have similar is an extraordinary loophole in their T&C.

However, that is their problem and presumably you can just cancel one day and (allowing expiry of contract) renew the next. How long will it be before they catch on I wonder, but for now it seems an offer too good to miss. I will have to consider same myself when my subscription renewal is due..sometime in May/June I think.

13. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Ping me if you need the link.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Bob Spiers

OK, the time has come (as the Walrus said) to consider cancelling my Ancestry (Worldwide) subscription as I have received my first reminder of its renewal being imminent April 9th. In the past I have, as already indicated, just allowed my subscription to renew as the easy option as it is invaluable to me and is used more or less daily - as FMP but more on that in a moment. I am not blasé about cost - money is money - but this year I do have another reason for considering cancellation and renewal and that is because I have decided (at this moment in time anyway) I no longer need a worldwide subscription.

So I recalled the topic in the Forum and brushed up on the recommendation to cancel and renew at a discount as most remind Ancestry will not fail to offer. I will cancel my subscription in the next week or so. I may well consider the same when my wife's quite separate Tree is due for renewal at the end of the year (that is just a Premium subscription, which who knows, I may even consider reducing to 'Essentials').

Which bring me on to FMP due I believe for renewal around July time. I note one can cancel the auto-renew in FMP but can someone remind, does that too bring forth discounted offers?

15. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Over the past 5 years, I've subscribed to FMP spasmodically for different lengths of time and different levels, always at some kind of discounted price.

Looking at my records, last year I had a 6-month Pro subscription (cost £50) which expired on 14 Aug 2019. I then started a 12-month Pro subscription on 3 Oct 2019. This was in response to an email I received from FMP on 30 Sept, offering 12 months access for £80 (a discount of £76) in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the 1939 register. So it seems this was a one-off 'special offer', presumably sent to all past subscribers (or maybe only recent ones, or ones tempted by offers like myself, I don't know).

If you are happy to let your FMP subscription lapse and do without it for a few months in the hope of another good offer coming up, that's fine, but if you feel you can't manage without FMP for any length of time, I'd take advantage of their renewal discount to keep your sub continuous. I will certainly have a difficult decision to make come October!

With Ancestry the situation is different in that they don't offer any renewal discount, but seem to automatically offer a half price sub if you cancel, usually within a day of your sub expiring. So really it's a no-brainer to cancel. Then even if you don't get an offer and have to re-subscribe at full price you haven't lost anything compared to auto-renewing.

16. Bob Spiers

Helen, many thanks well presented arguments in both cases and in the case of Ancestry I will most certainly cancel before renewal and accept what I am now convinced will happen, an offer to renew at a discount. In the case of FMP I believe I will allow it to continue at it known discounted offer as I truly would not want to be without it for any length of time. At least my mind is now made up on both counts. Thanks again.

17. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I agree with the idea of watching for "specials" before renewing. Re Ancestry I'm holding my breath to see what they do with their new custom tagging option which I'm finding very useful as I can create tags to identify various aspects of my research. Their new sort options are a mixed blessing and I find I have to change my log in as I trace emigrant families. Ancestry's version of the 1939 register is inferior in my experience to the Find My Past version. Find My Past is my go to resource for British newspapers particularly now that they are able to add more newspapers of a political nature.

18. I assume the sort options you are referring to are the new filters in the search. I am ignoring them.
    I do not understand why you need to change your log in to trace immigrant families, are you using 'All Collections' in your search? Or some other method?

19. Bob Spiers

"Woe is me I am undone" ... (not sure where that quote comes from but it aptly describes my mindset at this time). Yes I have cancelled my Ancestry subscription due to expire 7 April, despite Ancestry doing its best to change my mind. (It took 3 pages warning of consequences but I held firm). So, like 'Chicken Little' the sky is about to fall upon my head. Surprisingly, perhaps to some, I have always allowed my subscription to continue -one might almost say why wouldn't I - as I use it daily give or take high-days-and holidays. But as others seem to believe it a 'rite of passage' to cancel and renew at a significant discount (fingers crossed), I thought it time to do the same.

20. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I guess you mean Chicken Licken? Beware or Foxy Loxy will come and gobble you up. :)