1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Making an archive of my findings

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Lankylady, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Lankylady

Lankylady LostCousins Member

Ever conscious of my increasing age, (I was 80 last year) I've decided to archive as much as possible of my extensive findings for my descendants. I know they won't be interested in the extensive details and had the idea of only brief details but including various stories that have been passed down or that I've discovered.

Despite being a writer, I'm at a loss as to how to start so any advice would be gratefully received particularly about the order in which it should be done.

2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I think the stories , how you discovered them, and the connections may be the most interesting. I'm thinking of a semi- private blog for mine. I've been telling stories apparently since I was about 4 years old.
    Hopefully somebody will be willing to take any paper records you have kept . If you have anything you think might be of community interest I recommend donating a copy to the appropriate archive.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I've found working backwards from the present jogs my memory. A story based on an artifact , an event, a photo or a newspaper clipping helps to make it more interesting. I have a story based on a spoon and how it led to finding more about my grandmother.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

One of the reasons I took to Tribal Pages - (a subscription web site, but the annual feels are quite modest) was not only because I enjoy its user-friendly format, but also because it allows ample Photo storage and a place for STORIES, both of which attracts family, sometimes even more than bare facts. I provide them with a pass code so -when they've a mind - they can check out whatever interests them.

My story total to date has sailed past the 100 mark, and like Britjan (see below) I also try to weave a story around a topic or event and draw them in with a catchy headline. My sister in Australia is one of my greatest fans (well someone has to be) and regularly tells me when we Skype she has discovered something new from this or that story. She is drawn into stories by headlines, such as ...."A Fishy tale", or "A surfeit of Elizabeth's " or (one of my favourites) "the dilemma of the De Lemas", but she tells me she also reads the ones with boring headlines!

When she speaks with our UK sister she often brings up topics she has picked up from reading a new story and badgers her younger sibling into reading them for herself. I chide by saying not everyone is as interested in family history as she and I, but such falls on deaf ears. I tell her tell her she can be my press agent for a small fee!;)

As I relate to Lanklady (see above) I totally agree. Stories need a fulcrum point and a catchy headline if they are to attract attention. I am even fascinated by just the mention of your 'spoon' story.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

One of your best typos, Bob;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

It just wouldn't be me without a half decent typo, and yes one of my better ones and still sniggering. Thank goodness not a quarterly feel.:rolleyes:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Lankylady

Lankylady LostCousins Member

Thanks to everyone for replying. some very useful suggestions there! I'll definitely be checking out the Tribal Pages suggestion, Bob Spiers.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1