1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Did Lily marry and if so to whom and when?

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

On the basis that multiple heads are better than one, I seek help in deciding if an ancestor of mine Lily Adams (no middle name) born 4th quarter of 1884 (06D/217) in Birmingham (mother Cockram (aka Cochran) married a William A. Astley as evidence suggests, but there is an obstacle to overcome before it can be accepted. Here are the facts.

In the 1911 Census, Lily is at home in Birmingham with parents Thomas Adams 1856 & Rose Jane Adams (nee Cockran/Cochran) (1858), Lily was SINGLE aged 26. (her age and the fact she was then single is important)

There are a fair few Lily Adams marriages, but most can be discounted except one in particular (the Astley one I mentioned) and one other because it happens to be a Lilian (sic) Adams marrying a William G Cole in 1917. This Lilian was a Great Aunt (who I knew as a child) and is NOT the Lily Adams I seek. (Lily & Lilian were cousins).

We need to examine the 1939 Register and the marriage registration to highlight the strength and weakness of this match.

The Register: William A Astley living at 110 Whitehall Road, Bordesley Green, Birmingham. His dob is 31 Dec 1880 with Lily Astley 05 Nov 1884. (There are two children, one redacted but can be discounted for the moment). Living with them is Thomas Adams 09 Jun 1856 a widower aged 83, and SURELY Lily’s father?

The Marriage Registration: William Alfred Astley married a Lily Adams in 1906 (6D/667)Aston, Warwickshire. Yet we know from the 1911 Census- living with her parents - she was aged 26 and SINGLE!

So, from the strong clincher of the 1939 Register (where dates for Lily tally) and showing an 83 year old Thomas Adams (born 1856 which is correct for it being Lily’s father) to a marriage registration date of 1906 that challenges a Census fact that Lily was still single in 1911 – therein lies my problem.

Of course, Lily may not have married and remained a spinster and if so there are death registrations in Birmingham to support this in 1947 and later.

My instinct tells me she married William A Astley but can the 1911 Census fact be discounted?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Have you seen the 1911 census entry for William Alfred Astley? (Ancestry has mistranscribed the surname as Artty.)

This shows what I assume to be him in Aston with a wife Lillian aged 26 and 3 children - for whom the GRO indexes show the mother's maiden name as Adams.

3. Pauline

And going back to the 1901 census, I can see two 16 year old Lily Adams born Birmingham with a father Thomas. Might this be an answer to your mystery?

One Lily is daughter of Thomas & Rose, and the other daughter of Thomas & Alice.

The Thomas Adams married to Alice is a Brass Dresser - as is the one in 1939.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  4. Bob Spiers

I think both responses are more than food for thought, and although my initial research was a while ago it was obviously not up to scratch, so will ponder again and see if I can put this one to bed. At least I had the sense to approach the Forum so thanks Pauline for your help, much appreciated.

5. Bob Spiers

Thanks again Pauline, have now squared the circle, advised Ancestry of name errors, and removed all traces of the wrong Thomas & Lily/Lilian. A valuable lesson learned that when things do not look right, they probably aren't. One more query off my list.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Although it doesn't apply in this case, there are certainly instances where people who were married were shown as single on the census - in fact, you may recall that I wrote about one such instance in my newsletter.

It's always risky to say "we know from...." because our knowledge is only as good as our sources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pauline

You’re welcome, Bob. My multiple heads enjoyed the quest. :)