1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Three ways to find a Romford 1818 marriage

Discussion in 'More Essex resources' started by Stephen L, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

From a family being in the 1841 and 1851 census I suspected a second marriage. FamilySearch did not give me a result but I found the marriage I was looking for on https://www.freereg.org.uk/ There are a good number of parishes that have been transcribed. The current total is 1,602,204 records. The Transcriptions tab leads to details of the parishes that have been transcribed with dates of the baptisms, marriages and burials that are available.

I do not have an Ancestry subscription but while at my local library I did a search and found the date of the marriage in 1818 in Romford between Samuel FRANKLIN and Sophia RIVNER. There was a link to the page on the Essex Archives website where an image can be purchased. That suggests that Ancestry have done some indexing of the Essex images. Is that something new? I do not recall that being mentioned in a newsletter.

The third method was as described in the newsletter article More parish registers hidden at FamilySearch!
    I searched the FamilySearch catalog for Romford. The original parish register is not available but there is access to the microfilm images of the Bishop's Transcript. With a bit of jumping around I was able to find the marriage register for the right period and narrow down to the marriage I wanted,

I have used the method described in the article More parish registers hidden at FamilySearch! to find images of parish register entries for Waltham Abbey (aka Waltham Holy Cross).

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

See the newsletter from 28 June - here

3. Stephen L

Stephen L LostCousins Member

Thanks Pauline. I now recall I read that when it was published but I was working on other family lines in other counties at the time and had forgotten about it. An update to Essex Resources with a link to that newsletter could be useful.