1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sussex in WWI

Discussion in 'More Sussex Resources' started by Britjan, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

On 30th June 1916, three battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment were decimated in a diversionary raid on the eve of the Battle of the Somme.
    There is a new Facebook page around the event at this link . Yvonne who has set up the page has both a volunteer and professional interest in research around various communities in WWI.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. David C

David C New Member

Just letting you know the above link no longer works:(

3. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Thanks David . Most of Yvonne's research re the Royal Sussex at the Somme is now featured at the Lives of the First World War website. 11th , 12th, 13th , each are part of separate communities she created. In addition Yvonne created an umbrella community for them with links the introduction to some of the resources she used.

You'll also find a lot of information about the Royal Sussex regiment attached to this mapping resource . Here for example is Pvt Harry James Lambert # G/6349 ( 1887-1916)

Just recently Find My Past has linked remembrance at the "Lives" site to the rest of their records for Harry James .

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Sussex in WWI can now be researched at the Lives of the First World War site. The website has closed for new submissions or error corrections but will remain a valuable resource. Almost 60,000 men and women with some form of Sussex connection have a records at the Lives site.

5. David C

David C New Member

Thanks for the update

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

You are welcome and it prompted to me to look at the same website for Norfolk records as I had contributed to them. I realised then that the "name " category is somewhat misleading as it brings up "Norfolk" as a surname as well as a mention in other records. Likewise the surname "Sussex" is included in the link I provided above. Rather annoying but easy to identify .