1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2019 incoming

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, May 16, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have only ever synced FROM Ancestry to FTM and (apart perhaps from canadianbeth who if I recall correctly works the other way round) Syncing, Backups and the occasional Compact takes care of all the main housekeeping. It is a very rare thing for a Green Sync to fail and only very occasionally an Orange one (in my experience of course as others may fare differently). Should the Sync fail, for whatever reason, I would just bide my time and try again another time. I have no need to save Sync changes to pdf or any other format, but if it brings peace of mind, then fine.

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Of course, apologies!
    My pet peeve is when the sync fails and it duplicates all information that you have added since the last sync - you have to find the duplicates with FTM, but I've found that it can be hit and miss when actually spotting some duplicates.

I more frequently use Ancestry any sync to FTM, but in situations like the above duplication errors, and when it comes to places - it's easier to adjust them in FTM (like merging duplicate facts and the like) and sync them back to Ancestry.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried FTAnalyzer? It shows you duplicates.

4. jorghes

Of course, I use it to find duplicate facts after I've merged all the duplicate people!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Tim

I meant to find all the duplicate people.

6. I received an email today inviting me to got on a tour of UK and Ireland. To celebrate FTM's 30th birthday.
    Keenly looked at it only to find the tour starts today. It takes more than 24 hours for me to get to London!
    Looking further into it, it's a tour by FTM and not a tour you can join. The subject/title mislead me a bit.
    I do not remember seeing an earlier invite.
    Am not impressed. (call me a whinging pom if you like)

7. jorghes

I use the Mac version, and I haven’t seen it’s particularly good at picking up duplicate people.

8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I am still showing orange after nearly three weeks.

9. Bob Spiers

I tend to agree with that and find FTM more than adequate for finding duplicated people, especially with its 'scoreboard' option (the lower it gets the 'weaker' the supposed duplication). Also, after displaying duplications, it allows one to merge or remove the 'suggested' duplication from the list.

10. Bob Spiers

Yes the same here, and I daresay everywhere and likely to continue. On the other hand all but one of my Syncs have completed anyway. Roll on the Green light.

11. Bob Spiers

Count your blessings they did not give you more time and the opportunity to spend a fortune on getting to the UK. It is as you say just an option to attend one of their events in the UK and Ireland and listen to a speaker extolling the virtues of MacKiev in general and Family Tree Maker in particular. Plus, of course, the golden opportunity to buy one of their other products at...(wait for it) "deep discount prices".
    You are not alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tim

The Mac version isn't as feature rich as the pc version yet.

13. jorghes

Pretty much! I do have a PC for work, and I do have FTA on it, but often I forget to set everything up so I can run my GEDcom through FTA on the PC.

14. I am most fortunate!
    Honestly, I wouldn't have gone anyway.

15. Bob Spiers

A silly question perhaps, but one I cannot get my head around. If I carry out an operation in FTM -such as merging duplicated people (but could really be any other modification carried out only in FTM) and then Sync, do the modifications automatically Sync to Ancestry? (Yes I know the term sync implies this, but is it so?) I say this because I have only ever carried out modifications in Ancestry (including the occasional Tools/'Merge with Duplicate') actions, and I know the modifications appear in FTM after syncing.

My use of FTM is limited to mainly enjoying its other properties, so I would like to know how I detect the modifications work both ways, without of course checking on individuals.

16. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Bob, yes, the sync process works the same both ways and, more importantly, it appears to successfully work chronologically :) I usually try to avoid bi-directional updates but, because of "weather warnings" and impatience (more the latter than former) I end up with both trees changed and sync has always handled the process successfully.
    Phil

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Bob Spiers

Although I offered you a 'Thanks' icon Phil, I think it deserves more than that, as you went a step further which puts my mind at rest on the matter.

18. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. jorghes

Just make sure only to make the changes in one of the two... I once accidentally made it in both and lost a whole heap of connections and had to go on an orgy of deleting and then a mass of reconstruction!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. That's exactly why I have suggested using the Sync Change log. If you View it you can see the records you have added/changed since the last sync. It should give a clue as to whether the sync will behave as expected.