1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

USA 1940 census references

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by SaxonRob, Oct 25, 2019.

1. SaxonRob

SaxonRob LostCousins Member

Hi Peter,
    It looks like I'm doing something wrong.
    After I enter a household on the My Ancestors page using the USA 1940 census, the link arrow <Click to check against the census> doesn't come up.
    Your guidance says: "Some sources of the 1940 Census give all the census references in the transcription, but for others you'll need to refer to the image - you'll find the Enumeration District (ED) and Sheet number at the top right. When FamilySearch refer to 'Affiliate' they mean the NARA. NARA Roll Number: do NOT include T627 prefix if shown."
    I looked at the images and the transcriptions on all 3 sites: familysearch; national archives (NARA); ancestry (com and co.uk).

• The images show E.D No. 17-5, Sheet No. 2B, but not the NARA Roll number, even if you scroll to the 1st or last image of the set.
    • The familysearch transcription page doesn't give references, or mention affiliates, but just points to a description of the Enumeration District.
    • The NARA site doesn't seem to provide transcriptions or references, but gives link to a helpful site "Universal 1940 Census Image Viewer", run by Steve Morse. That comes up with: California | 17.Lake County | ED 17-5 | Image 4 (Roll 218 Frame 108).
    • The Ancestry site shows: Roll: m-t0627-00218; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 17-5.
    So I enter NARA roll number as 00218, but the box accepts only 4 digits max and displays 0218.
    The reference then appears OK on the lostcousins My Ancestors page as 218/17-5/2B, but without the link arrow.
    Thanks for any light that you or others can throw on this small problem.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Take another look - perhaps you missed 'Document Information'?

In general leading zeroes can be omitted - only include them the instructions on the Add Ancestor form ask you to (as for the Ireland 1911 census). I don't know why Ancestry pad out the film number to 5 digits as there are never more than 4.

Please note that there are no checking arrows for the US censuses - I haven't found a way of implementing them.

3. SaxonRob

SaxonRob LostCousins Member

Many thanks, Peter: exactly what I needed to know.
    Still can't find the NARA Roll # anywhere on the familysearch site, but no matter.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It won't be visible until you click 'Document Information' - sorry if my earlier post wasn't clear.