1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Is that necessarily the case? How close a cousin are you talking about? If it's more distant than about 3rd cousin there could well be no shared DNA anyway. I have a contact with no shared DNA, but we each share DNA with a 3rd person, and we are both pretty confident of our paper trail making us 4th cousins.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Unless you're 2nd cousins or closer there's no guarantee that you'll share DNA with your documented relatives. Even 2nd cousins once removed may not share DNA.

3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

A fair point indeed. We both had the same 5 GGF listed, but her link to him is through a son that I don't have. I will be double checking the locations and dates to see if this is a missing son.

4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 32 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,311 new entries have been added and
    • 216 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are up this week which is great news for all of us.
    And, my Match Potential has also increased, now at 16.9908. What changes did you get?

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2019-10-18_10-9-21.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

That's right, the formula for calculating Match Potential has been updated to reflect the c140,000 relatives added to the database since the last update.

My own Match Potential went up from 10.7806 yesterday to 11.0866 today, so still way behind Red Dragon, but what about you? The minimum Match Potentisl to qualify for forum membership is currently 1.0000 but anyone who follows the tips in this discussion and elsewhere on the forum should see their Match Potential rocketing.

The highest Match Potential I've come across so far is 57.1203 - but maybe someone reading this can beat that?

6. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My match potential is only 2.1127 but I have not been looking at it to see if it has gone up. I do only have 407 ancestors listed although I have been adding them as I find them, which is not all that often. It has been a year now since I received my DNA results and I still have nothing to show who my paternal grandfather was.

7. peter

You must have thousands of matches with cousins from that quarter of your tree - ample evidence, I would have thought. The challenge is to make sense of that evidence: the first step is to figure out which of your matches are from that part of your tree. The more documented cousins who have tested the easier it will be, so if you're able to add more relatives to your My Ancestors it'll be doubly useful.

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 12 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,605 new entries have been added and
    • -1 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers are down this week and what a strange set of numbers!.
    I think an account must have closed but this is to be expected from time to time.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-10-25_10-6-37.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. peter

There was an account closed, and it did have several matches. Unfortunately when people stop researching they don't always have someone to pass their work on to.

10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 29 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,284 new entries have been added and
    • 66 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers apart from New Entries are up this week which is great news for all of us.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-11-1_10-15-43.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Just as well I came to this discussion to catch up with what's what, I want to look at my Match Potential and found I wasn't logged in!

My match potential has gone up but I can't remember what it used to be, it's now 1.2261. Pretty miserable :(. I know, I have myself to blame, sheer laziness:rolleyes:

12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 22 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 9,182 new entries have been added and
    • 296 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers apart from New Members are up this week which is great news for all of us.
    And maybe Bryman was correct in his post, in that Maly has helped with this huge spike in New Entries. I wonder how many new Lost Cousins this has produced for them?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-11-8_10-43-42.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. peter

I suspect that FT Analyzer may had a role.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 44 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,708 new entries have been added and
    • 89 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Members are up this week which is great news for all of us, as they are the ones that will potentially add the most new records for us to match with. Otherwise it looks like a pretty quiet week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-11-15_10-9-13.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 81 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 6,962 new entries have been added and
    • 256 relatives have been matched.
    Please note that this is 2 weeks

Always good to see New Members joining. Apologies for not posting last week, I was on holiday. But I spent my time adding some relatives to Lost Cousins.
    And got some new contacts. :)

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-11-29_16-22-14.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 34 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,906 new entries have been added and
    • 177 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only New Matches are up this week which is great news for some of us. But compared to this time last year, New Entries and New Matches are both up. Matches are almost double what they were last year, which is understandable. The more New Entries that are added, the more likely people are to getting a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-12-6_10-54-6.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 19 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 650 new entries have been added and
    • -2,862 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining.

Well, a bit of a disappointing week. All number are down on last week. And relatives matched has gone negative. This normally is indicative of one or more accounts being closed. Very sad.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-12-13_10-2-52.png

18. peter

Well, it is Friday 13th - what do you expect?

The good news is the numbers should go up again. There was a very prolific member who decided to redo her account, starting from scratch, and this meant closing the old one.

19. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Well that would certainly do it. Do you know how matches were affected?

20. peter

I imagine it was the result of matches being deleted, but not yet re-established.