1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA Shared Matches

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Bryman, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, I agree that discretion/subtlety is the order of the day in such cases, and I would always be very careful what I say when contacting potential relatives who may be completely unaware of extra-marital relationships of their ancestors. Of course, if you are too discreet, neither party may be willing to engage for fear of upsetting the other. I take the approach of co-operation to uncover our ancestry together, as suggested by Peter.

I wonder if the relatives of canadianbeth's unknown grandfather (post #61) are aware of his indiscretions but don't want to say anything to her for fear of causing upset?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It's the difficulty of determining if the other person wants to be made aware of potentially sensitive information while not letting on that there is some potentially sensitive information to be made aware of!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's when you need to be really subtle. Of course, it's easier when you're face to face with someone and can see their expression.