1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM 2019 incoming

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, May 16, 2019.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

For those interested - FTM is updating soon to a new version, and offering a 3 day 50% off upgrade offer that you can find here.

The Australia version came out as $45 for the upgrade (usual upgrade price of $89.95) so a pretty good deal.

I can't find a link to the nice outline of their new tools - but in general it seems to include:
    1. Keeping track of 1000 changes in order to be able to revert when mistakes are made
    2. More integration with FamilySearch
    3. Hints into the index
    4. Smart filters - i.e. it will add records that match your criteria into the filtered lists without you having to refilter the information (I like this idea!)
    5. Folders which tell you how many documents are in each folder
    6. Seemingly automatic profile photo creation.
    7. Search enabled across more than one tree (?) Not sure about where the other trees come from!
    8. Rich Colour Coding... presumably you can now have more than a four colour set
    9. "TreeVault" - online app access to your tree - with "Emergency Tree" for restoration; "FTM Connect" the app; "Historical Weather" - to find out what the weather was like in the past, and a "Next of Kin" feature (in order to be able to pass on your FTM program and license)

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, I've signed up for this - it's £30 in the UK. I am particularly interested in the smart filters (point 4 in the list) as I find the filters useful but annoying having to regenerate when you update a tree. The 'turn back time' over 1000 changes looks potentially useful too.

I think point 7 means you can search for a name across all your trees, whereas at present the search is only in the 'active' tree in FTM.

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I did the pre-order as well. It is 39.95 in Canada. I think the regular upgrade is $79.95. The TreeVault is only free for the first year; after that, it is $30/year.

4. jorghes

Oh I definitely pre-ordered as well - Tree Vault looks to be $20 a year in Australia after the initial "free" period.

5. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up, I have just placed my order. I had somehow missed the email when it came in.

6. jorghes

I found mine in the end... in the junk folder.

7. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I think I must be the only person to have decided that the new version is not something to interest me, I am happy with the current 2017 version despite the atractive price for the upgrade :)

8. jorghes

Nothing wrong with that! I like the current version, but then some of the tools I use will be even easier (I use a lot of filtered lists) in the newer version.

9. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I suspect that I have only scratched the surface of what the software can do but I find the bits I do know easy to use and navigate, there may come a time when I do decide to upgrade but not right now. :)

10. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Is anyone else having a problem upgrading to the new Mackiev FTM 2019 (Ordered and paid for a month or so ago -upgrading from 2017) and just notified by email that my download link is available? The download is reasonably big at 768MB and begins well, but to date has frozen 5 times at varying stages, the longest at around 270MB. The error report always 'Failed-Network Error' and I am using Chrome.

Mackiev offer support Q&A links, none of which relate to the error (or any other for that matter) and Live Chat is an option if one seeks it out. Have not taken this route and am sure advice will be to keep trying. So this is what I will do later on, but meanwhile wonder if anyone has had similar problems, or of course that it downloaded without a hitch.

11. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Mine downloaded with no problem and is up and running.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Bob Spiers

Yes now achieved smooth download, but on different device. I first tried many time on my laptop which has FTM2017 and as reported it did not want to know, even when I switched to an Edge browser.

I left things for a couple of hours whilst I did other things, and then, early afternoon, I opened the download email on my PC - which has an Ethernet connection (may not have made the difference, but likely it did) - and the download completed without default. As I did not want to open the program on the PC, I copied the download to a USB and then used that to install FTM2019 on the laptop. All went well, proving the old adage 'there is more than one way to skin a cat'. Particularly true in computing.

13. Helen7

Just downloaded mine without any problems onto my MacBook Pro.

I've not had chance to try out the potentially useful improvements, but just had a bit of a play with the new feature to look up the weather in any place on any day in the last 100 years or so. Apparently it was not raining on my parents' wedding day (but cold at 4-7 C - not surprising as it was February in Manchester!) - completely useless information of course, but quite fun.

14. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I received the e-mail last night so waited until this morning before trying. As it is, I will have to wait longer because I have the orange symbol when attempting to sync to Ancestry. I will try again this evening.

15. It feels ages ago since I received my first invitation for this upgrade and decided there and then that I'm more than happy with FTM 2017. I just want to build a family tree, i don't need all the bells and whistles that I will probably never use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bob Spiers

I have to say I have a deal of sympathy for that statement, even though I have upgraded and FTM is not my prime family history software. Even more surprising when I find Mackiev marketing distasteful having to bypass dozens of 'must haves' before getting the green light to proceed. Then there are cloak and dagger 'checks' before allowing you to continue to download- never mind install. It makes a Windows feature download look simple!

So why did I upgrade? Intuition for one. I am sure it will not be long before Mackiev declare previous versions semi retired and lacking abilities offered by their 'newly improved' (and newly coded) creations. My main reason for using FTM is its ability to sync with my Ancestry Trees (when 'Green' conditions exist of course). (I understand Roots Magic 7 also offers this facility but cannot compare as I do not use this software) . By their very nature Mackiev will, I am sure, always favour their newest creations over earlier versions when liaising with Ancestry over synchronisation changes.

I must be honest and say I warm to several FTM innovations. Prime among which is the ability to switch between Trees, also its 'Places' facility offering maps and displaying ancestors born or living in close proximity to a chosen area. It produces great Charts and Reports (as does my Tribal Pages but I think FTM has the edge) and, although not alone in doing this (FTA comes to mind), in allowing me to filter my various lines to produce truncated gedcoms. I could go on and the bottom line is I still have an interest in supporting FTM and, now having its latest creation, will check it over to see if I can warm to its other bells and whistles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I'm still waiting!!! - not surprising, really, as I resisted temptation until the last minute. Like Bob, I use it because of the sync facility (though, since the release announcement, that's currently "orange" with the 2017 version :eek: ). There are two things that "irritate", though: the first is the need to untick the "store the login" box every time I log in which is the wrong way round and I consider to be a design fault (the box only needs to contain a tick once to suppress the message thereafter) and the second is that diagrams have the children attached to one of the parents and not "the union".

Phil

18. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Which diagrams Phil? And do you have a screen shot?

19. Helen7

Just what I was going to ask - you beat me to it!

And, yes, I notice the sync status has been stuck on 'orange' the past couple of days (for both 2017 and 2019 versions).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Tim/Helen7
    Two extracts of descendant charts attached - one from FTM the other from FH
    Phil

Attached Files: