1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Probate Registry Wills

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Pauline, Jul 22, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Lots of people reporting delays - they possibly didn't expect there to be such a rush.

2. LynneP

LynneP LostCousins Member

I ordered two wills 29th July. Still waiting! No replies to emails either.

3. Freesia

Freesia LostCousins Member

I also ordered a will in July estimated delivery was 4th August I am still waiting, no reply from enquiry email either as of today

4. LynneP

Hadn't thought so many people would catch on so quickly. We'll just have to wait it out.

5. peter

A lot of people (67,000) get my newsletter; the price crash has also been mentioned on Facebook (I understand), and there's an item in this month's 'Devon Family Historian' (although it is incorrectly referred to as a new service). Some people who have contacted me about delays hard ordered 7 or 8 wills.

6. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I do not have the will, but in my cousin's notes that he sent me my 3rd great-uncle is listed as having left an estate of 4,897 pounds and ten pence when he died in 1918. Would that have been a large amount back then?

And his son left an estate of 10,796 pounds, four shillings and eight pence in 1950. Those are the only two instances where my cousin listed anyone's estate, probably because they were his direct ancestors.

7. peter

Yes - enough to buy about 10 houses.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It would be helpful if the ‘estimated delivery date’ could be updated on the website to reflect delays. The statement that wills should be available to download within 10 working days from order is clearly misleading. It's been 20 working days since my last order and still no sign. I'm not complaining about the delay - it's clear that demand has been greater than expected - and I don't mind waiting, but it would be nice to have a realistic estimate of delivery date. They've asked for feedback on this Beta service and I've sent some to this effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Freesia

Freesia LostCousins Member

I had an answer yesterday to email from HMCTS Wills , to say they have my order, but they are experiencing high demand for copies of wills, they never said how long I will have to wait, hopefully it will arrive eventually

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I placed an order for 2 wills on the 3rd August with a projected delivery date of 18th August, and 6 wills on the 7th August due 22nd August.
    1 of the wills ordered on the 7th arrived 14th which was very encouraging, but still waiting for the other 7. I had hoped to be entering data to my tree today ( Sat ) of these anticipated orders. However, I spent a lot of time just adding all the info from the one will/grant received, as there were several family members with addresses etc. that I did not previously have knowledge of. Indeed quite a surprise that this family from the Greater Manchester area, had 3 households residing in Dorset. Having now searched the Electoral Rolls via FMP, I find that the daughter of the deceased lady whose will it was, is still living at the same address as in 1989 when the will was written.

A lot of information determined from purchasing one bargain priced will and grant !

This family is not related to me by blood, but through a second marriage of my great aunt. I have some images of the said family that a second cousin shared with me, and I in turn would like to share with them. This is my motivation for researching said family.

11. peter

A reminder that I suggested in my latest newsletter NOT contacting the Probate Service about delayed wills - it will only make matters worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LynneP

Still waiting for two wills with an estimated delivery date of 13th August, so well overdue now. Interested to know how others are getting on. In the meantime I've discovered some earlier wills that look interesting and should give me information- once I've deciphered them.

13. Helen7

I'm still waiting for 3 wills with estimated delivery date of 9th August (ordered 25th July).

14. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Where there's a will, there's a wait ..............daily disappointment :-(

15. RuthP

RuthP New Member

I ordered 4 wills on the 1st August, that should have been delivered on the 16th that I’m still waiting for. I also ordered another 3 on the 23rd August with an estimated delivery date of 7th September, and have just received notification that one of those is ready....

16. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Strange, RuthP . Perhaps some are more accessible than others?

17. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Reading through the various results forum members have had from Find a Will, I was pleasantly surprised when I ordered four wills on 31st August and was advised they would be delivered by 15th September, three of them were delivered on the 10th, 11th and 12th September, sadly one was the wrong one. On investigation they sent the will that was just above my ancestor's entry, in the probate records. I have written to them and hopefully I will receive the correct one soon, still waiting for the fourth one.

18. LynneP

I'm still waiting for my wills ordered 29th July. Why therefore are people getting wills ordered recently? This doesn't make sense.

19. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I'm still waiting for 6 of mine, ordered on 25th July, even though I received 1 on the correct day.
    The difference in these wills for me, was that the 1 I received was a recent death, the others are a lot older. If they are all digitally indexed and stored then I can't really understand the delay. I can only assume that they aren't. Maybe they are only scanning the older ones as required?

20. Helen7

Like Tim, I am still waiting for wills ordered on 25th July, 3 of them in my case. I received one I ordered that day just 2 days later on 27th July, but that was a soldier's will (from WW1) so that was presumably treated differently. The 3 wills I am waiting for are for deaths in 1903, 1928 and 1958.

As Tim suggests, maybe the newer the will, the quicker the delivery. I notice there are separate tabs for 1996-present, 1958-1996 and Soldiers' wills. That maybe indicates there are 3 different streams, taking very different times for delivery.

I wonder how many of the wills people received quickly are in the post-1996 or soldier's wills categories?