1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Pub History

Discussion in 'More English Resources' started by FamilyHistoryGal, May 2, 2014.

1. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

It covers around 16 counties in England. Handy if you have publican or licensed victualler ancestors. Good to see what these often "dead pubs" looked like

Pub History

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. EAnne

EAnne Member

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've yet to visit the pub that my great-great-great-great grandparents ran - do you think they'll offer me a free pint when I tell them?

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If you don't ask, you never get....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Shame that it is only for the south :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. EAnne

EAnne Member

I should probably have explained that Hitchmoughs Black Country Pubs covers roughly the area of the present Walsall, Wolverhamapton, Sandwell and Dudley Councils (just in case there are people unsure about where the Black Country is).

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Actually, having investigated further it offers a much wider scope than the south, and not only pubs I might add. As a Brummie I found a wealth of information about old Birmingham much of which is new to me, and I have explored a fair bit of Brummagem archive content in my time. So thanks FamilyHisstory Gal for posting.

8. There is a lost pubs project on line and you can use Google to see the full list of websites that contain the words 'lost pubs'.