1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

AncestryDNA’s new BETA

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by jorghes, Feb 28, 2019.

1. JudithB

JudithB LostCousins Member

Now you have reminded me and I followed your instructions, I remember doing this, but checked anyway and my tree is linked and I am the home person.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It needs to be a public or private-searchable tree for ThruLines to work.

3. JudithB

Is this ok: 'This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission'. Thanks

4. peter

That's fine. If you opted into ThruLines more than a week ago you ought to have some results by now.

5. JudithB

Still nothing, but I will keep looking. Thank you.

6. peter

Perhaps your tree isn't sufficiently 'deep'?

7. JudithB

6 generations with many birth & death details.

8. peter

But not 6 generations on every line. presumably.

9. JudithB

I was going to try and explain who I have on my tree, but it is easier if I invite you to see. I tried, but not sure how to invite you. I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Sorry! I have certainly got more people on my tree than some others I've looked at.

10. peter

I don't need to see your tree, thanks. Ancestry say that your tree needs to be at least 3-4 generations deep, so if you know who all 16 of your great-great grandparents were that should be fine.

11. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

From what you’ve said here, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious reason why you are not yet connected to ThruLines, so I would suggest contacting Ancestry support - by phone, if you can.

Before contacting them, though, it is a good idea to sign out of Ancestry, then clear your browser cookies and cache, then log back in. Also try a different browser if you have one. These are usually the first things the support team suggest, so if you’ve already tried them without success, you can quickly move on to exploring things that do help.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. JudithB

Thank you for your help, but I have no idea how to clear my browser cookies and cache. I don’t understand all that, so maybe I will just call it a day at that. Thank you anyway for trying to help.

13. peter

Just use a different browser - couldn't be simpler.

14. Pauline

Or tell us which browser you are using and someone here should be able to advise you on how to delete cookies etc. Depending on which browser you are using, it's usually pretty straightforward - and worth knowing for the next time you need to do it.

15. JudithB

I use Explorer.

16. Pauline

If you mean Internet Explorer, then this is no longer supported by Ancestry - and being an outdated browser, won't necessarily work properly on other sites either.

This page at Ancestry has advice on which browsers they recommend for the site.

17. JudithB

My husband has sorted me with Firefox, but using this, it still says I am not connected to Thrulines. I have sent a message to Ancestry about it, so will see if they reply with anything useful. Thanks again.

18. Pauline

Such is life, but at least you know now that your browser isn't the problem. And, once you get used to it, you will likely find Firefox performs much better than Internet Explorer.

Hopefully, Ancestry will respond to your message before too long, and with something helpful.

19. peter

Have you logged-out from your Ancestry account in IE? I suggest you do, just in case it makes a difference.

20. JudithB

I logged out of Ancestry in IE and logged in using Firefox, but I was still not connected to Thrulines. I had a quick response from Ancestry and they can see no reason why I am not connected to Thrulines. They asked how long I had had 4 generations or more listed and told them a few months and added a 5th generation about 2 days ago. They said they will look into it for me. I tried again this morning using Firefox to log into Ancestry, but still not connected.