1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 106 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 20,534 new entries have been added and
    • 974 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week with an increase in new members as predicted by Peter. Relatives Matched could have been higher but it could be that there are more US entries getting loaded due to DNA matching.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2019-5-31_10-40-43.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 22 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,587 new entries have been added and
    • 84 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week but to be expected after such a great week last week.
    I'm using FTAnalyzer to identify and help me correct all my 1911 census missing schedule errors, and then I can also use FTAnalyzer to mass load them to Lost Cousins. Another Win Win scenario!

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-6-7_10-24-48.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,564 new entries have been added and
    • 94 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week except New Entries.
    But it's not all about quantity, the ratio of matches to entries was 16.64, so on average every 17th person added made a match for at least 2 lucky people.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-6-14_10-34-3.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. mowsehowse

mowsehowse LostCousins Member

I have been scratching around trying to find people on the US 1940 census I can add. Most of my people were in Germany and Switzerland.
    I do have 5 on the UK 1891, but not a solitary soul (as yet,) on the UK 1881.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Everyone has relatives on the US 1940 census - but many of us won't know about them until we test our DNA.

Why not focus on your husband's My Ancestors page instead? He's the one with British ancestry. I appreciate you're more interested in your own tree, but I don't think your husband's 'lost cousins' should be forgotten about - they've put in the effort, now it's his (or your) turn to do the same!

PS I am slightly biased as your (husband's) surname appears in my own tree, so who knows, I could be one of those 'lost cousins' left out in the cold.

6. mowsehowse

Hi Peter. I have been focussing on my husband's tree for 25 years as I thought there was no hope of ever getting anything on mine.
    He has shown only cursory interest, although I did make contacts in Oz whom we met up with in Dublin, which was nice.
    On one branch I am back to a marriage in 1603 for his family, plus a transportation, and ALL the LC that were on my LC a/c I have now transferred to his name. You always said there were not enough entered, but I am bored with them now.... just ordinary honest people who managed to survive by their own efforts and never made the papers except for marriage or death.
    Besides which, as yet he has no grand children to learn about their totally British history. (God save the Queen.)
    I have 5 already; if I don't tell their multi-cultural history, no one else will, and it will be lost to them forever.

7. peter

This discussion is intended to encourage members of the forum who have already qualified for membership to continue contributing to the LostCousins project in the interests of the membership as a whole.

As you haven't reached the minimum threshold for forum membership I suggest you reconsider your attitude towards your husband's 'lost cousins' - I don't think they deserve to be penalised simply because you are 'bored' with your husband's tree.

Forum membership was never intended as a substitute for participation in the project - indeed it only exists to encourage members' participation.

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 24 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,874 new entries have been added and
    • 148 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Entries and Relatives matched are both up this week, so lots of people are benefiting from their efforts to add people to Lost Cousins and matching with their Cousins.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-6-21_11-1-44.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. mowsehowse

That is a bit harsh surely, since what I have actually done is add more names to the data base.

10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 35 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,316 new entries have been added and
    • 217 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members and Relatives matched are both up this week, so lots of people are benefiting from their efforts to add people to Lost Cousins and matching with their Cousins. The ratio of Entries to Matches is 10.67, which means on average every 11th person added created a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-6-28_10-53-46.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. peter

This week's figures will have been affected by my tidying up of the Canada 1881 entries in preparation for some changes - see the next newsletter for more details.

12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 22 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,877 new entries have been added and
    • 211 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week, but not by too much. Even though we had a slightly lower set of numbers, the ratio of Entries to Matches is 8.9, which means on average every 9th person added created a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-7-5_11-5-28.png

13. peter

I'm surprised there was any activity at all given how enticing this year's Wimbledon is proving (and then there are the soccer and cricket World Cups). Even I haven't added any relatives in the past week - although I did get a match. However I'll definitely be adding some relatives this week - having discovered several new branches (see the next newsletter to find out how I knocked down yet another 15 year-old 'brick wall').

14. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Well done, Peter! Impressive that the Grand Old Man of Lost Cousins is still knocking down brick walls. Encouragement for us all.

15. peter

Less of the 'old' please!

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Peter, please rejoice in your advancing years. With every year that passes, your life expectancy (ie age to which you are expected to live) INCREASES!
    At age 65, life expectancy might be 80. At age 80, life expectancy might be 90. At age 90, life expectancy might be 95. At age 95, etc.
    At age 100, one gets a telegram(/card) from the Queen, or perhaps one should send congratulations to her as she becomes the oldest survivor in the country!
    I keep telling my younger brother that he will never catch me, at least not that he will ever be able to prove to me.

(I have to find the positive aspect to something . . . NZ are 125-2 after 33 overs.:()

17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 24 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,599 new entries have been added and
    • 302 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Mixed bag of numbers this week, New Members and Relatives matched both up this week. But the ratio of Entries to Matches is 5.29, which means on average every 6th person added created a match. We all have 6 relatives we could add?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-7-12_10-1-32.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. peter

DNA matches often uncover branches that are unresearched or under-researched, providing opportunities to enter more relatives on your My Ancestors page. It makes sense to do this before inviting your cousin to join, so that you can use Refer a Relative and copy the shared relatives across.

Remember you don't need to know someone's email address to create a referral. Nor do you need to wait until you know how you're related.

19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 27 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,853 new entries have been added and
    • 296 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members and New Entries both up this week, and relatives matched only slightly behind last week. Another great set of numbers.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-7-19_12-22-21.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 18 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,481 new entries have been added and
    • 138 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers down this week. A bit of a quiet week but it has been very hot this week in the UK and it is first week of the school holidays.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2019-7-26_10-48-24.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1