1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GRO missing Birth information

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by PaulB, Jan 21, 2019.

1. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

Found GRO info on FMP but can't find record on GRO site any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2019
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It is possible that this is missing from the GRO site?

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

It could be one of the missing entries that Peter mentions in his newsletters.
    'I'm still getting reports of missing or duplicated blocks of entries in the GRO's birth and death indexes.'

The newsletter dated 12th January has more information
    'GRO indexes - yet more errors and omissions EXCLUSIVE'

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

First check against the list of gaps I've already published, then check whether other entries on the same register page (not index page) are also missing.

Most records that can't be found are the result of transcription errors.

5. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I have found a puzzle which is slightly linked to this topic so have added it here rather than start a new one.
    A distant cousin of my wife married Annie Ball BURTON.
    I could not find her birth on GRO so looked in FreeBMD which had fewer search limitations and found this record
    Births Mar 1872
    BURTON Annie Ball Nottingham 7b 293

I then went back to GRO and searched again using just the surname and reference to get this result ( Ball being listed as the mothers maiden name)
    BURTON, FLORENCE ANNIE BALL
    GRO Reference: 1872 M Quarter in NOTTINGHAM Volume 07B Page 293
    Searching again in FreeBMD there is no record for this Florence.
    Searches on Ancestry, FMP and Family Search only locate the first record with no sign of a Florence.
    No mothers maiden name is recorded in any of the found results. A marriage search for her parents confirms the name as Ball.
    From a baptism record dated 10 Jan 1872 her date of birth is 25 Nov 1871

I would be interested in any possible explanation of this.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In a case like this, it's a good idea to look at the actual index page - all of the sites apart from the GRO will have used the contemporary index as their source. Sometimes you'll find a handwritten amendment, though not in this case.

Since both the contemporary GRO index and the new index have been compiled from the same register pages you're most likely to come up with an explanation if your order the PDF - you may find that the register entry was altered, or you may find that it was written in a confusing manner.

My guess is that the name was changed when the child was baptised, and that one or other of the index compilers (perhaps both) either missed the alteration or were confused by it. Again the PDF will reveal all.