1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lexicon

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Feb 9, 2019.

1. When I came to live in NZ I travelled by ship with my husband and daughter. One of our trusty travelling companions was Lexicon. While on the voyage we made friends with a couple who had two sons, they were going to Australia.

Us four adults spent many happy hours playing Lexicon while the three children occupied themselves with the usual kids games.

One particular game I remember quite vividly was when some other children decided to make nuisances of themselves around us by poking fun at the words we were putting on the table.

The male friend decided he would teach them a lesson by placing a rude word on the table, I think it was bum or something similar! They ran off looking embarrassed and didn’t return.

I still have the Lexicon set but not the husband. We divorced some years ago and he is now deceased.

The Lexicon I have is the 1968 version which is in the link in the latest newsletter and is available for £5. I have no idea how much we would have paid for it.

I wonder how many lost cousins members have played Lexicon? Or, still have it?

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

And whether they all ended up getting divorced? It reminds me of the woman who shot her husband dead after a game of bridge (you can read about it here) She was acquitted, by the way.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I still have my Lexicon. I have not played it in ages and I cannot find a date on the box or the instruction booklet, but it is later than Peter's.
    Lexicon.jpg
    Looking on Ebay the price ranges from £1.99 +£3.60 postage (no bids yet) to £24.99 Buy it Now with free postage!

Inside the lid I have written in large capital letters 'THE PLAY OF THE CARDS OPTION'
    Any ideas? I cannot find anything in the rules about a play of the cards option.
    It could be something that we made up.
    Our family often used to make up our own rules to card games.
    I don't have any particular memories of playing Lexicon and I am not divorced!