1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Substituting the Tree used for my DNA Test for another?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I used a cut down (Director Ancestors) Ancestry Public Tree for both my own and my wife's DNA. With hindsight I wish I had used the full version (or perhaps a different extract version) for both, or at least in my own case. I did a cursory explore using Ancestry Help but as usual all around the houses, nothing specific touching on the subject.

I do not intend paying for another test, so off the cuff does anyone in the Forum know if it can be done, or point me in the right direction. If it can be done, then fine, if not will let things continue as is. Just thought I would ask those more au fait with Ancestry DNA than myself.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Are you saying that you wish to change the tree to which your DNA test is linked? If so, from your DNA page click on Settings in the top right, then by Family Tree Linking, click on Edit.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Bob Spiers

Yes that is exactly what I meant, and following through just before typing this response, see it can be done, and now has been done. Top marks Pauline and would that everything was that simple.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

FTA now produces a DNA gedcom that you can load, I've used it, does a great job. All your ancestors and their descendants.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I think it's a wise move Bob - I use my massive unwieldy tree for DNA matches, and it's amazing how many more DNA matches I can place because they have a name I recognise on their tree in some small corner of mine!

6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I created a direct ancestors only public tree at Ancestry in anticipation of receiving my atDNA results and gave this news to a possible relative who has the same surname as me. However, he was unable to find that tree via a search at Ancestry. I then tried and also failed to find it. After a very long conversation with someone from the Ancestry Solutions Group, it appears to be a problem related to my move to NZ, or at least away from UK.

I had an Ancestry subscription and associated email address when I was in UK so that is what the tree is linked to. However, I am now using a NZ email address, with auto forwarding from UK, which I used to register my atDNA sample. Ancestry now tell me that in order to link the tree to my DNA there are only two options . . .
    1. Recreate my tree using a subscription linked to my NZ address, or
    2. Retake the DNA test with a new sample (at no charge) and register that with my UK address. The sample currently being processed and its results would be discarded.
    Apparently this situation is not uncommon but I am surprised that a simple update of the computer records for sample registration is not possible.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Surely it's about user names, not email addresses?

8. Bryman

Probably. I have a user name associated with my Ancestry tree but am not aware of any such associated with my DNA test nor the need to make it match when registering. I only know the email addresses. I think that the problem is that I am known to Ancestry via two accounts, however they are defined. I gave up trying to understand the explanation after one hour. They must hate discussing such intricacies with people of low intelligence.

9. peter

All Ancestry accounts have a user name, even if it is your real name. It seems to me that all you need to do is copy your Ancestry tree from your old account to your new one.

10. Bob Spiers

Actually jorghes that is precisely why I raised the point about changing to my full or a fuller extract of my Tree. I received a new match potential from Ancestry and on checking our matched surnames, I immediately recognised many of them, and indeed looking across to the Tree breakdown of names, recognised names that were part of my maternal line. It looked good so noting the Tree had a manager, I made contact to advise of such.

He replied saying he had had a similar match potential but had not been able to establish a match to his client, other than via one name (who turned out to be my Great x 2 Grandfather) and was about to make contact to ask for more information. I then realised my knowledge was based on names from my full Tree, and few of these would have been contained in my Direct Ancestors Tree. I explained all this and pointed him to my public Tree and said I would endeavour to change the Tree associated with my DNA test. Which with Pauline's showing the way, I have now accomplished.

So I agree entirely with your posting and hopefully it will help with future matches.

11. Bryman

The problem is that here in NZ, I access Ancestry through my local library so probably don't have an acceptable account for linking a tree. I wonder if I could wait for the results, in about a week?, and then request the free retest. That would allow me to have something to work on while I await the retest results which might take a couple of months, or so.

12. peter

If you have taken an Ancestry DNA test you would have had to open an Ancestry account - it's compulsory. That's the one that you need to transfer your tree to.

You don't need an Ancestry subscription to have a tree at Ancestry.

I don't know why Ancestry are suggesting you retest your DNA - it isn't necessary. You cannot transfer DNA results from one account to another, but you can copy a tree across.

13. Bryman

That is what surprised me but they were adamant and kept saying that it would not cost me anything (except time to get results!)..

I was told that it needs to be a paid subscription in order for others to find/view the tree unless linked from the DNA. We seemed to go round and round in circles and that is why I gave up after about an hour. I was getting very tired and not following their argument at all well.

14. Pauline

An alternative would be to manage the DNA test via the account to which the tree is attached. It involves sending yourself emails between the ones used with the different accounts but is otherwise pretty straightforward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. peter

You need a subscription to view other peoples' trees without their permission (ie public trees). You don't need a subscription to view a tree with the user's permission, whether it is public or private.

You don't need a subscription if you're following the strategies in my Masterclass.

16. Bryman

I was trying to get things setup before my results appeared. Many members of this forum had complained about others not having a tree to look at so I put one in place to make things easy and hopefully to avoid the need to grant permissions before they can access.

I am not following the Masterclass yet because my results have not yet arrived and I am trying to avoid further delays.

17. peter

When I post on the forum it's for the benefit of all forum users. In this case the advice is not only of interest to those who have already tested, but also those who are considering testing, and who to test with. It would be a tragedy if someone chose not to test with Ancestry because they wrongly assumed that an Ancestry subscription was required.

18. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I have seen managed accounts but have not been able to work out how to achieve this. My cousin has agreed to have a test, how do I set this up as an account that I am managing?

19. peter

You don't, they do. After they get their DNA results they need to go to the DNA home page, click Settings, go right down to the bottom of the page, and click Add a person. Ideally you want them to make you a Manager.

20. Pauline

With the DNA tests being managed through our account, with the permission of the testers (neither of whom were Ancestry users or wanted to be), we set up a guest account for each of them, using an email address which forwarded to us. We were then able to set up things up on their behalf so that the tests were managed through our account, but they can each still see their results through their own guest accounts.