1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Publicising Lost Cousins

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Jan 6, 2019.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Other way round!

2. peter

That's usually correct - Findmypast mostly allocated 9999 as the schedule number for institutions, and LostCousins follows the same protocol.

However there are some exceptions where they allocated a schedule number of 1. So my advice is to enter 9999 and use the grey arrow to check.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Thanks, Alexander and Bob. I tried it with a couple of people and it shows the information in the right-hand column. I also entered the actual link.

I have 9999 in one of my 1911 census records, for one of my great-uncles.

4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Oops! Apologies, Peter

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Panic over, there are no duplicate entries on My Ancestors page. There had been a one letter misinterpretation of the surname in the transcription of the census entry so the error was corrected and displayed in italic font but looked like standard text.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. peter

As we say in England, "should have gone to Specsavers".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

We say that in Scotland too (and Wales before Red chips in). :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Alexander Bisset

Peter am I right in thinking that if someone wants to upload their wife's family for matches the correct procedure is to create a second account and add her relatives census references to that account.

In FTAnalyzer this can be achieved by using the second account login details and setting the root person as his wife.

9. peter

That's right, Alexander.

10. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

And in Oz!

11. peter

In the interests of inclusivity I should mention that the Specsavers head office is based in Guernsey, and they have branches in Ireland, so they probably say it there, too.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

In fact the joke is on Specsavers because they say it here in NZ too and my eyes were tested by them recently and shown to be better than ever!

13. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I have been checking my uploaded data and realised that my married females had been entered with there maiden names as this how I have then in my family tree.
    I have gone into LC and sorted my records by household and am now amended the surnames to those found on the census, this may also mean that some of my Forenames are wrong as well.

revised comment
    going through I have found some with the correct (married) surname but have not been able to find out why they are behaving in different ways

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  14. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

It does that with mine as well, to be honest, unless it says "Unknown", I've been ignoring it.

Just another note, this update (with the new release) for every single record it says failed, it actually succeeded... so keep an eye on those you think may have failed! (this has been for 1881 census entries so far).

15. peter

The grey arrows should always be used to check new entries, and this is especially important if you're uploading data using FTA for the reasons you've stated (and, in the case of the census where we use the transcribed data, transcription errors).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

The "failed-but-actually-succeeded" error is also working for the 1841 census (as long as they have complete census entries.)

*And 1911

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Is that due to not having a "marriage" record? The few new entries I have added to date all had the correct surname and maiden name entered. I haven't entered anyone on LC with custom "married" data, which identifies a spouse where the family is not currently included (giving me a start point if/when that status changes).

All my GEDCOM census entries have the format "1 CENS Ref: Class RG11; Piece 2148; Folio 31; Page 3; (Schedule 11) [Name: Edward Gregory Scott; Age: 3m (1881)]" which places the text following "1 CENS" in the Ancestry "description" field - the name/age is my interpretation of the census image! The "Ref:" element, of course, is processed by FTA.

Phil

18. peter

Somebody asked me whether relatives added during the period of the competition should count even if the data is incorrect. There seem to be three options: one is to disqualify all incorrect entries, another is to allow all entries irrespective of whether they are correct or not, and the middle course is to allow entries which whilst not completely correct, would show up as a near match.

What do others think?

19. Alexander Bisset

It uses the name at the time of the event as best as it can determine it. So if the marriage date is entered and before the census it will use their marriage date. If it's after the census or not entered it will use maiden name.

20. Alexander Bisset

Note I'm going to be adding a checking function that takes the data you've entered manually and via FTAnalyzer and cross reference with the FMP indexes using the links from the site. It will then give a traffic light indication if the data all matches green. If there is some tolerance involved (age slightly out or fuzzy match on name) then yellow, if the record needs to be a transcription match and it is close but not quite then orange to show it's bad but not entirely wrong. Finally red for that doesn't match the FMP index at all.

Hopefully this will allow users to very quickly visually see where they have mistakes and need to fix them. The aim being to get them all green so the matching algorithm works properly.