1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Foot Military Police

Discussion in 'Military records' started by CarolB08, Oct 22, 2018.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I was going back over some research in my Husbands family tree and came across the marriage for Bertie Wood to Margaret Smith in 1919 at the time of their marriage Bertie was a Lance Corporal in the Foot Military Police. I had not heard of this regiment and assume its the early form of todays Military Police otherwise known as the Red Caps.
    Does anyone know where I might find out more about this Regiment please?
    Many thanks
    Carol

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I expect you've found this Wikipedia page by now.....

3. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Actually no I had not seen that one but then I do not like Wikipedia so that's probably why, however I did find this on https://www.rhqrmp.org/rmp_history.html which is really informative.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You can't afford to ignore Wikipedia - whether you like it or not, it's one of the best and most reliable sources there is. That said, I rarely search Wikipedia directly - I rely on Google to do the work, and it was the first result when I searched Google for 'Foot Military Police'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Totally agree that Wikipedia is one of the most reliable resources out there that's because people who care about the content tend to be pretty keen on ensuring it's right. Since every last edit is fully audited you can see exactly what changes have been made. In addition the sourcing options that link to the original sources of the info are great for further background research. At it's best Wikipedia is the sum of all human knowledge. Is there stuff wrong there yes. However if it's wrong then put it right and quote your source for it being right. That way it gets improved. The alternative is the rather sloppy thinking of "oh well it's user created so it must be wrong". Which couldn't be further from the truth. It's the fact that many many people who are extremely knowledgeable in their field contribute makes it one of the best researched resources out there.

• Agree Agree x 2