1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Relationship for lost cousins

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by CarolB08, Jun 5, 2018.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Peter I have been looking at the relationship options on the main lost cousins web site and having dabbled with setting people to adoption it became very confusing as to the link to my family. I know you will say adoption and you would be right but would it be possible to add an extra option such as adoption direct for Grandparents and adoption family for other relations. It might help prospective cousins to see how people are linked.
    Carol

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

But they aren't cousins - that's why the adoption relationship is the correct one.

3. CarolB08

Ok Peter, it was just a thought.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ideally you would come to an arrangement with a member of your adoptive family to research on their behalf, and in that case there would be a separate account in that person's name.

In general, if you research someone else's ancestors - whether those of a spouse, an in-law, a friend, a grandchild, or a cousin - open an account in their name (assuming you have their permission, of course).

5. CarolB08

That would be a tad tricky since I have no living relatives from my Mums side with the exception of my family and my Brothers family, no Uncles, no Aunts, no cousins, no one. :( The same on my Dads side, I have never had any contact with any one from Poland and neither did he since he was a displaced person from WW11. Sad case aint I :rolleyes: