1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Just ordered my DNA test kit

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by CarolB08, May 18, 2018.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Finally after months of agonising and changing my mind, thanks to Peters latest newsletter and the Royal Wedding I have ordered a DNA test kit from Ancestry :eek: so expect plenty of questions in the future. Plus as an added bonus I got my lapsed membership renewed for half price :D so a very happy member here.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Well done!

3. CarolB08

Thankyou Peter, maybe it will help answer some of my questions that at the moment annoy the heck out of me. :)

4. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I wish you luck, but be prepared for even more annoyances, at least if you have matches like I have.

5. CarolB08

Quite frankly Rhian I will be amazed if I get any matches at all, given that my Mother was adopted and my Father was born in Poland and came to the UK after the first world war so my knowledge of his family is limited to what was written on his DP entry card :( my expectations are not high but I am going to give it a go anyway. :)

6. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I have been working with a DNA cousin for 15 months trying to find a link, so far we have at least 2 cuckolded fathers and 2 illegitimate births and despite having about 20 family names in common in the same area at the same time the best link I have found is a 2nd cousin of mine married a 2nd cousin of his. An adopoted mother might be easier to connect.

As I can almost see Poland from my house if you need anything researched there let me know, I might be able to help. As my partners family is from East Prussia there may even be a link there.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

You'll get just as many matches as someone who did know about their parents. The only difference is that because your 'brick walls' are more recent they'll be easier to solve.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. CarolB08

Wow Rhian, that is such a wonderful offer, it has blown me away :D I shall give it some thought when my brain is more ordered and see where you or your partner might be able to help me out. Thank you so much. :)

9. CarolB08

Thank you for that Peter, I think I needed to know that, my test kit arrived today :D I mustered up my best spit and it took more spit than I anticipated to fill it to the wavy line but I managed it and it is activated and the kit back in the post box, so now I just have to wait for my results :D

10. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

You might be surprised how many relatives from your Polish family might be on Ancestry... especially if any of them emigrated to the US. I didn't think I would get many from my father's Australian paternal line, as our first emigrant came to Australia in 1839 - but considering one of his son's family emigrated to the US, there is a lot more than I thought (and a few of the Australian side have been tested too, and I have had a lovely set of conversations with them.)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. peter

I have quite a few matches with people in the US who have ancestors from Baden-Württemberg (Germany) even though my ancestor left in the 1780s. Unfortunately Ancestry don't sell DNA tests in Germany, presumably because there are legal restrictions of some kind (as in France). They have, however, been selling their tests in Poland since February 2016.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. CarolB08

Now that is interesting Peter :) my Polish side of the family are a complete mystery as my Father would never talk of his family and never had any contact with them after the war.

13. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Ancestry would not tell me why they would not send a kit to me in Germany, but other companies do which is why I tested with FTDNA. Interestingly the kit I was trying to get sent to Germany was a replacement for one Ancestry lost, it was originally bought in NZ and sent to me by a cousin, rather than send me a replacement they insisted on sending it to NZ so my cousin could then send it to me. My partner got a kit sent from Nederland and it is in the post today.

14. CarolB08

Had an email today to say that my kit has been received and is in a queue waiting to be processed :eek: fingers crossed now and eager to see my results, and hoping I will understand them when I get them :)

15. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

You got quicker service than me, last kit I sent took 8 weeks to arrive, then they lost it. My partners kit went out the same day as yours, so it will be interesting to how long it takes to arrive.

16. CarolB08

It will be I interesting to compare notes on the speed or otherwise of our waiting times and results. :)

17. peter

You won't - nobody does - but it's the matches you get that matter.

18. CarolB08

Thank you Peter :) I plan on working hard on building my tree more between now and that email telling me my sample is processed, more names might spell more success :)

19. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

More names always spell more success... but sometimes only if your cousins have the same idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

My kit has now arrived for testing, only about a week longer than CarolB08.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1