1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Capital letters in the middle of surnames

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Pauline, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I noticed recently that when entering a surname with a capital letter in the middle, McPhun for example, that when you add or save the entry the surname auto-corrects to lose the middle capital - Mcphun.

I'm guessing this won't matter for matching entries as the same thing will happen to everyone but I thought I'd mention it.

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I only have one instance of such a capital letter in the middle of a name, ie McClure, but that is a middle name rather than a surname. In this case the capitalization was not lost and there have been no matches so far.

3. Pauline

I haven’t tried with a middle name, and this is the first time I’ve entered a surname with a capital letter in the middle.

In fact, with the 1881 census, the surname has been mistrancribed to include a space - Mc Phun - and entering it exactly as transcribed, the middle capital doesn’t auto- correct. It only happened when entering it without the space.

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I used CNTL-F to search for instances of "Mc" in my list of entered ancestors on My Ancestors page. Now I have repeated the search for the double characters "O'" as in the surname O'Brien and found 9 instances of which 6 are matched. The character "B" remained as a capital letter in all instances.

I do not have any Scottish names beginning with "Mac" nor Welsh surnames beginning "Ap" as in ApSimon. Are there any other combinations that one should be looking for?

5. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

The 2 O'Briens on My Ancestors have retained the capital B, but all the Mc and Mac surnames have the middle capital altered to lower case - with one exception. McMeekan is italicised because I have corrected the surname from a wrongly transcribed version.

6. Pauline

Yes, I discovered the same with the additional 'corrected' fields below.

The auto-correct feature in the main fields is generally very useful and definitely speeds up entering names - I wouldn't want to be without it!

7. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Scottish and Irish names can be Mc or Mac interchangeably one is not Scottish and the other Irish. http://www.scottishhistory.com/articles/misc/macvsmc.html

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

All my 'McSomethings' have the 'S' as a small letter except, as Pauline also found, a mistranscribed one with a space - Mc Laughlin.