1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA Kit Number -where do I find it?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Bob Spiers, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I may be a seasoned researcher of the old school (that is a matter of opinion) but an admitted novice in DNA testing. So perhaps a silly question which I am sure others can answer.

I received my Ancestry test results back in the early Autumn and with them I must have been provided with an Ancestry Kit number. I cannot recall when (or how) I received the number but when later registering with GEDMatch and uploading a Gedcom, I was asked to provide a 'DNA Kit number' unless revealed by clicking on a drop-down box'. To my joy a Kit number was revealed so all was well; apart from trying to understand what it all meant - but I am working on that.

Now three months later my wife has just received her own results, which I am processing and have begun to explore her Ancestry Shared Matches. However, thinking ahead, I decided to register her results with GEDMatch. All went well until I was asked to provide a DNA Kit number; BUT this time no drop down box! So as before I have no idea where to find the Kit number and 'online Ancestry Help' seem not to understand the question.

As I said, probably a silly question but rather than go round in circles I would esteem it a great favour if someone will put me out of my misery and tell me where such information can be found.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Ancestry give you an activation code, which was on the box and on the spit tube, and they give you a space to copy this into the instruction booklet. You use it to activate your test at Ancestry.

GEDMatch give you their own Kit Number which starts with a letter dependent on who did the DNA testing. You don't have to give them the number, and as far as I can remember, they assign it to the test as soon as the raw data is uploaded. It should show on your GEDMatch homepage. A drop-down list may appear when performing certain functions, but for some things you have to enter the Kit Number manually.

3. Bob Spiers

I recall in my own case the start letter indicated an Ancestry test but was now aware it was assigned by GEDmatch. Now that I am aware I will check it out, so thank you Pauline much appreciated.

Here, by the way, is the follow up question asked when I bypass providing a Kit number in the first place and yes here it does call for a GEDmatch DNA Kit number.

upload_2017-12-28_13-35-17.png
    I will let you know how I get on.

4. Bob Spiers

As they say a push, is as good as a shove, and for a start I found out I needed to download raw data from Ancestry via 'Settings' which I had not done, so couldn't be assigned a Kit number. Once done and the i's dotted, and t's crossed (quite fiddly awaiting confirmation email) the data was download to my computer and then uploaded to GEDmatch...and yes a Kit Number with the lead letter A was provided. Bingo!

Now all I have to be is patient and await 'batch processing' (with the dire warning could take as much as a couple of days, depending on server loads) but I have other things to keep me occupied with the Ancestry side so in no hurry.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

5. Pauline

There are some things you can do at GEDMatch while you are waiting, like the eye colour prediction.

6. Pauline

..... and checking if your parents are related

7. Bob Spiers

Pauline whilst not high on my list I have to own I wouldn't know how to do either, so if not too involved 'word-wise' perhaps you will enlighten as to how to go about doing such.
    (I am guessing it involves a One to One match?)

8. Pauline

Once logged in to GEDmatch and on your homepage, on the right hand side of the page you should see a light blue box headed 'File Uploads', and below that a darker blue box headed 'Analyze Your Data'. In that box, in the left hand white box headed 'DNA Raw Data' is a list of options, including 'Predict Eye Color' and 'Are your parents related?'

Select the one you want, and 'Bob's your uncle' - if your DNA says so, of course. ;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1