1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker to be pensioned off. NOT!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

If you select the Plan tab in FTM, then just below it is a More button. Pressing this brings up the details from FTM.

upload_2017-11-24_10-45-49.png

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Thanks Tim, amazingly simple and I could have spent half a day getting there. Now all I need to know is how one finds out the media count at Ancestry - and I see you have asked the same question.

3. Bob Spiers

Having just completed a successful sync I received the 'Media: 5 not complete -process error'. I clicked 'Retry' and after what seemed an eternity (but was perhaps a minute) gave the same report, and I gave up.;)

4. Media not complete means that not all the media in Ancestry have been transferred to FTM. As I said earlier (I'm getting lost in this Forum because I can't keep up due to the time difference between UK ans NZ), running the report in FTM called Media Usage report and finding the media that are not linked could give you the answer. To run this report go to Publish, (across the top of FTM), click on Media Report, click on Media Usage Report and follow my previous 'instructions'.

In Ancestry, select the tree you are working with, then select Home. in the middle of the Home page and near the top you should see the heading About this tree with counts underneath. That tells me how many people I have and how many photos. "Photos' means all the jpg files I have attached to the Ancestry tree.

Go to the tree, at top left you'll see the name of the tree and an arrow, select the arrow and select Tree Overview, the numbers under the heading of Summary match those on the Home page.

Media in Ancestry is, as mentioned earlier (not by me), everything you have attached to the tree yourself. Photos, PDFs, etc. If you go to Gallery in a person and click Show, you will see you can filter by Media type. Records are not synced into FTM.

In the Help for FTM, in What's new in Family Tree Maker then in Family Sync you will find a detailed explanation for the type of media that do not sync.

If you are still wanting help/clarification from me, is there is some way we can private message? I find email is a far better medium for me to interact with people. However, you might want to learn by trial and error in the same way as i have done for about 11 years.

5. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Could it be that some files are too large for Ancestry to sync/ upload them?
    There is a file size limit.

6. Bob Spiers

First, no worries on that count I (and others in the UK ) have regularly posted back and forth with Antipodean members and are quite used to time delays. Even when using Forum 'private messaging' (as I did occasionally when researching my Australian 'Convict' Ancestors) it was quite usual to post one day and receive an answer next day or even a day later if the question required research their end.

Second, I can only speak for my own UK Ancestry pages (unlike FTM I am reasonably experienced using Ancestry and have been a member for a long time) but I think you will find there may be differences in locating page specifics. Which may, of course, be due to personal customisation. So things like 'in the middle of the Home page and near the top' for me was in the lower middle of the page towards the right.

Third, sadly I could not follow this instruction at all. But, not to worry, I located the 'Tree overview' under 'Create & Manage Trees' as I mentioned before; and yes the content does match the Home page.

But all your comments are appreciated and I will explore further what you say and I am sure light will dawn sooner or later. If not I will post again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1