1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Free records this weekend.

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Fern49, Sep 16, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Is it possible that the whole family were lodgers? Or was the head of household his supposed wife?

2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

The head of household was his supposed wife, a widow, living with her son from first marriage and daughter in law.
    She was still using her surname from her first marriage on the census.
    I have not looked at this family for a while, but I have realised that I have a copy of the marriage registration.
    That looks to say 1919.

3. peter

Intriguing - did they marry secretly, I wonder?

4. Katie Bee

Her son was a witness, so I don't think it was that secret!
    Maybe she wanted to be head of the household in the census and if she used her married name her husband would have been head.

5. peter

I was thinking that it was something she wanted to keep from people outside the family - neighbours and officials. But first that marriage entry needs to be carefully examined.

6. Katie Bee

Thanks for that Peter, you may be right.

Here are the dates from the marriage record

upload_2017-4-23_12-34-5.png upload_2017-4-23_12-35-15.png

One witness was the son, the other witness I do not recognise the name but they gave the same address as the son, which is where the family was living in 1921.
    The other slightly strange thing is that she is called Helen on the 1921 census, every other document she is Eleanor Jane in various spellings.
    You may be correct in that she was trying to keep the marriage secret from officials for some reason.

I will leave it at that for the moment and see if anything else comes to light.
    Thanks for your help.

7. peter

You mention she was a widow - was her husband killed in the war? If so she would have wanted to conceal her marriage in order to protect her pension.

8. Katie Bee

Her first husband died in England before she moved to Canada.
    They emigrated in 1913.

9. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

Free Ancestry this coming weekend to UK and Irish records.

10. peter

There's a link in the Stop Press of the latest newsletter - I added it yesterday morning. Always check for updates - that's what the Stop Press is for!

11. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have just looked at the updated newsletter and clicked on the embedded link, to no avail. Unfortunately, for me anyway, the displayed page of the newsletter remains unchanged except for the change of colour for the link (from blue to pink). I tried to copy and edit the link but that did not work either.

Even without the link, the Stop Press is useful for those who read the newsletter after the update. Might there be an easy way to alert early readers that they should return to find out about further information? Readers are unlikely to return every day just on the off-chance. Perhaps a message displayed at the top of the page within the LC web site, or dare I suggest a popup window within LC, etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. peter

I'm not sure what the problem you're having is. The link works fine for me.
    The Stop Press itself is surely a reminder for readers to revisit? There are updates to the Stop Press in most issues, so anyone who doesn't revisit is likely to miss out.

13. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

As Peter said in his Stop Press I too have been unable to view records in one of the 'featured collection' parish records (NFK C of E birth and baptism 1813-1915) .

14. peter

Has anyone been able to view any of the parish registers (without a subscription)?

15. Katie Bee

Hi, I have been able to view a West Yorkshire Parish Register today without a subscription.
    West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910
    I had to allow scripts in our security program. Before that, it would not even let me search.
    K

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

Yes - I sent a 'comment' to Ancestry about the problem and now I can see the Norfolk parish registers that I couldn't before.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. peter

Thanks everyone - I've updated the newsletter accordingly.

18. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

Ancestry has UK military records free this coming weekend.
    (I checked 'Stop press' before posting this!)

19. peter

Yes, but Ancestry's offer doesn't start until Friday - see today's newsletter for the offer that has already started.....

20. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

Thank you Peter - my post was sent before I received your newsletter.