1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1841 census help needed

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by bev51, Aug 21, 2017.

1. bev51

bev51 New Member

I have just read your recent news letter so decided to take a look at the FreeCEN website which I haven't used for a while, and to my surprise I found an entry for my 4th, 3rd, and 2nd great grandfathers all living together so took the census info and tried finding them on Findmypast and Ancestry and they do not appear that page seems to be missing, I just can't find them am I doing something wrong
    Bev

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Bev, I think you need to give us more information, so those of us who have access to FMP and Ancestry can have a look to see if we can find a solution for you.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. bev51

bev51 New Member

Hi Heather

I have access to fmp and ancestry but a fresh pair of eyes would be great.

This is the info from FreeCEN:

Piece 854, enumeration District 16, folio 9, page 12, place Bingham, civil parish aslockton

William Oliver 50 miller
    Mary Oliver 50
    William Oliver 25 miller
    Elizabeth Oliver 20
    Thomas Oliver 1
    All born Nottinghamshire
    Hope this helps
    Thank you Bev

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2017
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bev, I assume you are referring to the 1841 Census?

5. Heather

Hi Bev, very strange, I cannot find the Oliver family in 1841, sorry. I've tried lots of different angles but no luck. Aslocton and Bingham are not listed as having any pages missing on ancestry or FMP. FreeCEN found them ok, I wonder how?

6. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Just searching with the piece, folio and page gives 100 people but none are similar in name, in fact none are listed in Aslockton. FMP does not have that parish listed.
    The genealogist does list the parish as an address but does not use the page and folio numbers, which makes it useless as a site for citations, they only list a couple of families in Aslockton, all with the name Retford, interestingly there are no images available which does imply something may be missing. There are also some notes added to pages for Aslockton by users but I got site errors when trying to access them.

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I think I've solved the mystery as far as FMP and Ancestry are concerned - both have a missing page in their images. Enumeration District 16 is Book 6 and pages 11 and 12 are not there. Folio 9 page 13 is there and matches near neighbours of the Olivers shown at FreeCEN, so this is definitely the right place.

At either site, try browsing Book 6 of piece 854 and you will see what I mean.

8. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Just checked at the Genealogist and they likewise have pages 11 and 12 missing. I guess it must have happened when they were being digitised but maybe there is an older film from which information was used for FreeCEN. Nottinghamshire FHS transcribed census records many moons ago.

9. peter

I think it is more likely it happened when they were microfilmed, as each website would have done their own scanning from pre-existing microfilm provided by the National Archives (Ancestry scanned some of the least legible pages directly, and those scans are in colour so easily identified). It's likely that two pages were turned over inadvertently during the microfilming process.

10. bev51

bev51 New Member

Thank you everyone for your help, Pauline I did take a closer look and your right the page I want is missing so at least I know I'm not going mad. I tried family search as well and they don't have that page either. Once again thanks for all your help
    Bev

11. peter

FamilySearch get their census information from Findmypast.

12. Heather

Bev, do you have them in 1851 ?

13. peter

Don't forget to enter them on your My Ancestors page (and keep your fingers crossed that your cousins are equally resourceful).

14. bev51

bev51 New Member

Hi Heather
    I do yes it was only the 1841 i could not find them on.
    was not sure if i could add them so you've answered my next question before i asked it
    thank you all for your help i don't need it very often but it's nice that your all there when i do
    Bev

15. Heather

Bev, I have contacted FMP regarding the missing pages, as they are not on the list of missing sections of the census on their website.

I have a reply from them ............

" Thank you for letting us know. I have reported this as missing to our data team.
    If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again."

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  16. peter

It's worth noting that in this instance it was clear that it was a filming error, rather than a missing census page, because the other side of each page was present. Findmypast could run a check to ascertain whether there are other similar incidences (Ancestry couldn't, because they have the wrong references much of the time).