1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Searching for William GEORGE

Discussion in 'Gloucestershire' started by Pauline, May 6, 2017.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have been trying without success to locate a William GEORGE between 1891 and 1915, and also find his first marriage.

William was born in Cheltenham and his birth was registered in Sep qtr 1862. His parents were Joseph GEORGE, a gardener, and Louisa nee TRUEMAN. He is with his parents in the 1871 census, and in 1881 he is a ship's boy on a vessel in Cardiff, aged 17.

My next confirmed sighting of him is as a witness when his sister married in Cheltenham in August 1891.

(I have found a William GEORGE born Cheltenham in the 1891 census, a railway horse driver in Chaddesden DBY. However, his given age is only 19 which makes him seem unlikely, though I haven't yet determined who else he might be.)

After 1891 I lose track of William until he turns up in Upper Norwood SRY in April 1915, when he married Charlotte Elizabeth SHORTER. He then gives himself as aged 41, a widower, occupation miner, with father Joseph GEORGE, gardener, deceased.

In the 1939 register, where he is shown with wife Charlotte (as above), William gives his date of birth as 31 July 1866. He died in May 1949, aged 84, and is buried in Hither Green cemetery, Lewisham.

Despite the age inconsistencies, I think all the above references (except maybe the 1891 census one) relate to the same William GEORGE, but I lack absolute proof, and am hoping that tracking down where he was between 1891 and 1915 may provide it.

Can anyone help me fill in the gaps, please?

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Not really a gap filler at this stage Pauline but did you know that his wife Charlotte Elizabeth was buried in the same cemetery 27 march 1953 aged 77 years, home address 7 Lessing St. Honor Hope Park?

There is a marriage Dec qtr 1883 in Cheltenham 6a 851 to a Jessie Emma Armitage , she died 1892.

Name Jessie Evelyn E George, Event Type Death, Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep, Registration Year 1892, Registration District Barton Regis, County Gloucestershire,
    Age 28, Birth Year (Estimated) 1864, Volume 6A, Page 96, Line Number 126

Sorry it's not much and there are lots of William George records so it's just finding the correct one, good luck.

3. Pauline

Thanks, Heather. Looking at the Gloucestershire marriages at Ancestry, it seems this William George married Mary Burford and that Jessie married William Frederick Holroyd Morgan. Unfortunately also, William has the wrong father named, so I guess is probably not mine.

4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Pauline, sorry about that but on FMP someone has made an error obviously....... If a marriage search for Jessie is made it comes up with two names as usual, William George and William Frederick Holroyd Morgan.
    England & Wales marriages 1837-2005 Transcription
    Learn more

View image

First name(s) WILLIAM
    Last name GEORGE
    Marriage quarter 4
    Marriage year 1883
    Registration month -
    MarriageFinderâ„¢ WILLIAM GEORGE married
    Jessie Emma Armitage
    District Cheltenham
    District number -
    County Gloucestershire
    Country England
    Volume 6A
    Page 851
    Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

PS I have contacted FMP about the error.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. Pauline

As it happens, looking at this marriage entry in the parish register was useful in confirming that this William George was the one in Long Eaton DBY in the 1891 census. I had suspected the Long Eaton William was not mine, despite being born in Cheltenham, but this confirmed it for me.