1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Royal Navy 1878

Discussion in 'Military records' started by HelenIW, Dec 12, 2016.

1. HelenIW

HelenIW New Member

My ancester Thomas William Woster (Worster) joined the Royal Navy in 1868. In 1878 he was on the HMS Rupert which I understand sailed in the Mediterranean at that time. There is a family story that an ancestory (possibly this one died in the Sea of Marmara). I have placed a link to his Seamans record and would appreciate it if someone could confirm that DD actually means 'date of death' or Date of Discharge. Also what does the information written to the right hand side mean?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ff=4 5 6&db=RoyalNavySeamen&indiv=1&ml_rpos=2

Thank you.

2. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

I clicked on your link, but have to be a paid member to read it.

3. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

I think DD is Date of Death. entry read 5th July 1878 "through capsizing of the Barge, in a heavy squall."

2 records earlier Henry Beynon also has a DD "Heart disease Chatham hospital" and this one has a death registration for Q2 1891 - Medway, Kent.

No idea what the figures in the last column mean, but both have dates soon after the death so could refer to paperwork connected to his death.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Here's the page so you can see for yourself, Helen.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Actually, for what it's worth, I tried to follow this post whilst incapacitated using a laptop not normally used for Ancestry, and it barred my access also. I couldn't for the life of me recall my Ancestry password and didn't want to go through the 'Forgot password' palaver. So waited until my return home to read it, so the likelihood is that non Ancestry subscribers wont be allowed to either.

I cannot assist either with interpreting the figures in the last column but Sue is likely right, naval jargon for actions taken after he died.

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

7. Bob Spiers

A sort of a yes and no Gillian. When the link is clicked (the IMG item is blacked out) instead of Ancestry one is reminded to either register with Dropbox or sign in. I do have a drop box account but seldom use it, but it recognised my sign in details. I chose not to sign in and ticked 'no thanks, just proceed to view' but it went into a sulk so I closed the tab and tried over; this time clicking the link came up with the goods.

Nothing is ever easy but short of a screen shot by (say) the Microsoft built-in Snipping Tool (which is what I use) -but there are others -and adding as an image, one is constantly tied to a registered program that requires you to sign in.

8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Bob, it's so good to have you back. When I got my new computer a couple of months or ago, various things weren't there any more, including the Snipping Tool. I was a bit sad but thought I'd manage without it - using print screen. But it wasn't the same. I honestly didn't know that the Snipping Tool was simply a Microsoft freebee and could be downloaded just like that. Anyhow, I've now downloaded it just like that and will put print screen out to pasture. I'm so happy to have the Snipping Tool back. It now sits snugly on the task bar right next to Clean Master, also courtesy Bob.

9. Bob Spiers

Thanks for your comment Gillian. Yes Snipping Tool is a great favourite of mine, so simple and saves an awful amount of time when I just want to save or print out a section of a page. I too have it pinned to the task bar along with Clean Master, another great favourite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HelenIW

HelenIW New Member

Thank you very much for your replies. Sorry about not being able to see the document, something I will bear in mind next time I post a query.

11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Helen, couldn't you even see the one above (Thursday 22 pm) - just before Bob's reply to me?

12. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

According to the RN National Museum website DD is Discharged Dead. the writing to the right of this appears to be corroboration of the capsizing. Per AS6544N - this could be Able Seaman and 6544 his service number (which is in the right range for that time). Not sure what AG stands for (unless that too is AS) as AG is Air Gunner, and wouldn't have thought they had those in 1878! I'm going up to Kew very soon, so I'll try to look it up for you, they have lots of records not available online.

13. HelenIW

HelenIW New Member

Thank you to you all for your thoughts and comments. I would be interested to know if there are any other documents I could follow regarding Thomas at Kew.