1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New GRO indexes

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I have just used the GRO site and I had to reset my password and sort out verification, but neither took very long.
    Only a few minutes, so that was good.
    I have ordered one birth certificate, the search did not show a mother's maiden name, so looking forward to seeing the actual certificate.
    I now have to check which other certificates I need.
    Thanks Peter for all your wonderful explanations and newsletters.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

After several incorrect ones, I was finally able to get my Dad's registration of birth through BMD several years ago. When I checked the GRO one the other day I got no results. Nothing for my paternal grandmother either, but then I have never been able to find her. I did find my maternal grandmother though. Since I am now only trying to find out who my paternal grandfather was, I did not bother looking up anyone else in the maternal line.

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have now received the 3 paper certificates ordered as a result of the new index, and the PDF entry I ordered on the 9th. Both were sent earlier than predicted, but not without problems.

Of the 3 certificates, 2 had errors in the information typed at the top when preparing the certificate - one showing the wrong year, and the other with a spelling mistake in the sub-district -"Plumbstead" instead of "Plumstead".

The "PDF" arrived as a .dat file which Windows declined to open. After making a copy, we retyped the extension as .pdf, and were then able to open it. The quality of the scanning was good, though.

(I'm not sure if what we did with the .dat file was correct or advisable, though we were careful to make a copy first. But the email did say they couldn't resend the copy without a new order, and I wanted to avoid that if possible.)

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

My first PDF arrived this morning, and the file was called PDF.PDF

One other member has reported receiving a DAT file but didn't try renaming it.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

My file was called winmail.dat, and Google suggests this is an Outlook file related to attachments in emails. I've mentioned the problem in my feedback so hopefully they will look into it.

Once I changed the extension, the file opened as expected in a PDF reader (not Adobe). But it did flag up that problems were detected - one or more XREF chunks were not found - but that this could be solved by saving a copy, which we did.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Received my 5 pdf certs. today. At first they looked a bit of a narrow strip but once I could view them in my Adobe PDF viewer they looked ok. Just one death record was carelessly photo copied so I could only see the top of the letters in the informant's address line. However I already knew of the family address so was able to just about recognise it.

7. peter

As it's a trial it's important to report any problems to the GRO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I only ordered 1 pdf as a trial and to my surprise I got 2 on Sunday afternoon!

I had ordered Edward Davies birth record and there were two with the same name on the same index page, I assumed they had sent me both records. The first was the wrong one, the mother was wrong to start with so I checked the second which was another copy of the wrong one. So email to support and expect a long delay in answering, it might work out faster than the paper certs. way as they usually take 3 or 4 weeks to get to me, at this price level though I will not be ordering many of the missing 300+ certificates, just a few where I need to have some exact proof.

Meanwhile fill in the questionair and search for missing wives names.

9. Katie Bee

Same here.
    The quality was fine, except a little missed from the bottom of one side of the entry.

10. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Received my first PDF cert today... unfortunately a dead one, but it's the participation that counts, right? I also completed my first survey. It's nice that the digital revolution has made it to the UK, PDFs are so much easier... It will be good when they are able to broaden the search options and add marriages into the online search!

11. peter

I think you're forgetting that Scotland is still part of the UK?

12. jorghes

Most likely! I am a colonial after all!

13. Katie Bee

I ordered 2 PDF copies in one order. Only one entry has been sent in the PDF.
    If anyone else ordered more than one copy in an order did the copies come in the same email or in separate emails?
    There is nothing in my spam filter and I cannot find anything in the FAQs (Most customers want to know...).
    Thanks
    K

14. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I ordered 4 PDF Records in one order on 11 Nov 2016 at 15:55 (I know, cutting it fine), and all 4 arrived this morning as 4 separate emails.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I ordered 6 and they came as separates

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. jorghes

I believe my total was 8-9, all in separate emails.

17. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

All in separate emails - 1 order for 3 & another for 5

18. peter

I understand there are significant delays for some orders. My order due yesterday has not arrived, although it is still showing 18th as the estimated despatch date; a LostCousins member who placed an order for PDFs on 10th November has been given a revised despatch date of 28th November!

19. jorghes

I admit my second order of 1 came before my other order of 8, but they were in about 2 days of each other.

20. peter

My PDF eventually arrived at 10.49am today (Sunday 20th November). Clearly the GRO are working weekends again!