1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Contact Messages from My Cousins page

Discussion in 'Key features of the LostCousins site' started by Bryman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I believe that there is a problem with my email service provider in UK (TalkTalk). I have not received any emails sent to my prefered address for a couple of days. They are normally auto forwarded to my NZ address, from which I am receiving other emails.

I am awaiting replies to a few initial LC contacts made by me and noticed that My Cousins page has been updated with the name of one of those new contacts. I therefore suspect that any associated email sent via the LC envelope icon has been lost/delayed. Is there any way to retrieve such messages directly from the LC site or archive?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Peter can probably do what you've suggested. Why don't you update LC with your primary NZ email address?
    TalkTalk has had a lot of issues over the last few years, if you still need a secondary email address, why don't you try Gmail or OutLook?

3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Talk Talk is now my service provider(was aol) I actually don't have any issues with them and have a good low cost package with them.

4. Bryman

I can do but that does not help with missing message. I may have to change primary (UK) email address if things do not improve but am currently looking for simplest and least interference, if possible. Originally, I was with BT but then they sold the ISP to Tiscali who then passed it on to TalkTalk. I just wanted to cause least disruption to anyone trying to contact me. That is why I kept UK address and arranged auto forwarding when I moved here.

I also had a btinternet address when in UK but BT threatened to chop that when I moved (left them) so I had to change auto forwarding to avoid possible problems. However, I still get emails via that address, at least I did until a few days ago. In fact, I have just received an email from Ancestry which was routed through that btinternet address!

I do have a secondary address recorded in LC details but that is of my son, nearby, in case I have permanent problems with my internet connection.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  5. Bryman

I hope that you do not get any disruption. I tried to access delayed emails via webmail but the TalkTalk web site appears to be down. Emjay, would you please be kind enough to see if you can get through to webmail at the TalkTalk site and let me know?

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

It's OK Bryman I'm on it now.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bryman, a message to you was indeed returned as undeliverable. If you're not prepared to use your NZ address I suggest getting a Gmail address: in my experience Gmail is by far the most reliable provider of free email services. No ISP is going to provide email services for ever to someone who isn't a customer.

Please let me know when you have updated your account with your new primary email address - I'll then send copies of any emails that have been sent via the LostCousins site over the past week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bryman

Thanks emjay and apologies for not responding sooner but I had read your post as "I'm on to it (the task) now" and was surprised that you did not follow up with result shortly after. My mistake. Sorry.

I did eventually get on to the site but could find no email address, only phone numbers for contact. There was a web chat option but that was not manned at night so I had to wait for daylight in UK. After hours of web chat I still don't know what happened exactly but recovery may be near - in a few days!

9. Bryman

Thanks Peter, I have updated LC with my NZ address but not changed the password as that is a one-off used only for access to LC.

I am still hopeful that the previous email address can be restored and hence avoid many who communicate directly with me from having to change the address. The TalkTalk support was very helpful and claimed that nothing had been done at their end. They even offered to set up a new account for me but that would still have caused hassle for others with change. I am almost no cost to TalkTalk day to day as I only use auto forwarding of emails.

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Very poorly worded message on my part :(

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Not according to my records - both the main LostCousins site and this forum still have the old address.

12. Bryman

Sorry, I didn't do that very well. I missed the SUBMIT button buried at the bottom of the page at LC Details.
    I completely forgot about this forum. :(
    All should be corrected now. I clicked on the confirmation email and was told that all is now active.