1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Drawing simple family trees

Discussion in 'Utilities to download' started by Gillian, Mar 30, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've probably missed something in the thread, but why isn't your family tree program doing this for you?

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

It is a free hand option ideally with 'copper plate' writing, but hopefully will look something like the ones used in the TV programme "Coming Home" (Welsh celebs). The idea is to produce a tree showing siblings and cousins. Obviously not a 'full' tree because that would need an enormous sheet of paper. I am still planning mine which will be of my paternal grandparents descendants, possibly fit my maternal also otherwise a separate one. My idea is that it will appeal to my children and grandchildren without their eyes glazing over. However Peter, I would like to find a chart that can be generated in the form of ''boxes" that can cram a lot into a landscape A4.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The only program I know that gives you complete control over the layout is Genopro, which has already been recommended.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, I've looked at that and examples on the forum, but when I looked at the program it appeared rather busy/confusing (it does not take much these days!)

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I've had Genopro for quite a while but unlike Peter I do not use it as a database. I tried it that way although only to put it through its paces (even though I had a trusty friend database in FTL) but I found it -as you describe emjay - busy and confusing. Of course I could have stayed with it and worked out how to split it up to be less busy/confusing but by that time had resolved it was more useful to me to draw individual charts from scratch. And that is how I have used it ever since and have lost count of how many I have produced, printed off and distributed along the way. All saved of course for future use or reference.

So if, for instance, if I want to provide my paternal cousin with a Tree just dedicated to her I build up a Descendant 'box' chart using our shared great/grandparents and her own maternal line; and the same with an Ancestral Chart. I may also provide a separate one for her children. Genopro is second to none for that purpose and you may find it ideal as I did.

Our discussion about drawing a 'free-hand' chart began when I mentioned my wife's calligraphy virtues and spotting someone we know what had a wall chart done for them by someone skilled in calligraphy. On the way home my wife said she thought she could draw up our family chart in the same way and that is how it all started and I discussed it on the Forum, and which you picked up. I shall produce a template for her in due course using Genopro.