1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Drawing simple family trees

Discussion in 'Utilities to download' started by Gillian, Mar 30, 2015.

1. JoyceH

JoyceH LostCousins Member

I find that Family Tree Maker can produce outline sketches as well as ' kitchen sink' ones.
    You were obviously unaware that NWK FHS could help. You can send an outline sketch and request one of our gurus to produce a tree, all part of the service. I look forward to seeing your article and possibly judging it in 2016 for the JB award for best article!
    Our all day AGM is on Sat 25th April 2015 at The Bat and Ball community hall near Sevenoaks. More details on our web site re the NW Kent FHS Society and the AGM. [2 Talks].
    We also hold monthly meetings held at Sevenoaks, Bromley and Dartford. A friendly Society. We would be delighted if you or any other Lost cousins members wished to join the Society if you live in the South East or even if you live further away but have Ancestors in NW Kent. Joyce Hoad.

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you very much, Joyce. Too true, I wasn't aware that NWK FHS could help. Nor did the editor mention the possibility to me or I would surely have done as you suggest. Never mind, I'm delighted with GenoPro and have now taken out a sub. It will be useful for lots of other trees in the future. I don't have FTM so that facility wasn't open to me either. What, by the way, is the JB award? I'm afraid I live somewhat too far away (in Finland) to come to your meetings, otherwise I'd be a regular.

3. JoyceH

JoyceH LostCousins Member

The Josephine Burchenough Award-
    When she died many years ago people sent money to the Society in her memory so we decided to make annual awards.
    At first it was for a research project, which I was the first who was awarded a cash sum for my research on John Rolfe and Pocahontas.
    NO- I was not trying to become related, but had discovered a notation, years before Disney made that film, in a book on Surrey c1815, concerning a family who were Lords of the Manor of Addington Surrey and claimed relationship. I was, and still am, working on the history of the village.
    Having won the award I was asked to write an article or give a talk to the Society. I chose the later.

During the last 20+ years I have discovered via my research at TNA [The National Archives Kew] that all that is on the web re JR's early life in England is wrong. All I need now is to write that paper and find a prestigious Society to publish.
    I did try to alter Wiki but got a message saying that my input was 'vandalism!'

Later as projects were not forthcoming the JB award was made for the best article/s in the magazine and I sit on the panel of judges who read every article in the magazine and then award the prizes. The rules and awards will appear in the next journal. This year it has mainly been on WWI but hopefully we will get more variety in the future.

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Well, that IS an interesting project, Joyce. I don't think my tracing the ownership of the old parsonage in Cobham (now demolished) will be in quite the same category! Even so, it took a lot of research and helped me unearth (I was going to say 'dig up' but perhaps that's too morbid as well as illegal) numerous new ancestors. I'm also now much wiser about the workings of the C of E.
    I'm shocked that your corrections to Wiki were classed as vandalism.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I'm assuming you mean Wikipedia? If so then this will be the automatic anti-vandalism engine that detects changes and if from a new user applies a far stricter set of permissions than for people who are frequent updaters. For every wiki page there is a discussion page - you will see a small tab top left of the page called "Talk" on this page you can discuss the changes you wanted to make to the page and have a Wikipedia editor step in and assist. Once you build a reputation on the site for knowledge of a subject your edits will be accepted without the same anti-vandalism interventions.

I hope this helps explain the Wikipedia system a bit better and will encourage you to persist with the updates to enhance the global knowledge. The anti-vandalism is there because of mindless idiots that think its fun to update pages with random rubbish. Unfortunately from time to time sensible users get caught up in it too.

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I'm resurrecting this discussion (last post by Alexander just over 1 year ago) to tell you the great news that my article on the Old Parsonage at Cobham (incorporting the GenoPro family tree) came up trumps, as I won joint first prize in the Josephine Birchenough award (see Joyce's post above) this year for that and my article on three generations of Doherty (ie my great-grandfather, grandfather and father). Feels good. Thank you Joyce if you played a part in my prize.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Many congrats, Gillian!!!
    Indeed a LostCousins Star!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks a lot Liberty and Bob. I'm mighty chuffed as you can imagine. I've never won anything before!

9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Congratulations Gillian, you must be very proud. We are proud of you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you, too, emjay. I'd love to say I'm proud of me, but then I remember that pride comes before a fall, so perhaps I'll just stay with the chuffed. In a way it's a prize for Lost Cousins, too, because I've learnt so much from all of you.

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Very well done! I hope that in your acceptance speech you'll mention the contribution made by members of the forum, and presumably we're all invited to the party?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Of course!!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  13. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

A great achievement, Gillian, may we bask in your reflected glory? When's the party and where will it be?

14. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

You may bask. On 31 June, at the North Pole. ;)

15. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Well done Gillian.
    We will all be at the North Pole!
    See you there :)

16. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Welcome! or Tervetuloa, as they say in Finnish! :D

17. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Of course what is not said is to get there from the UK one needs to catch the Hogwarts Excursion flight from Heathrow, Terminal 5 3/4. And remember to take your own Owl. :p

18. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Well, I couldn't make it too easy, could I, or I wouldn't have room for all those hordes of Lost Cousins in my little igloo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Hi Bob, I have just purchased the basic charts and had a trial run with the 'post it' stickers. I'm only attempting a decendant chart from my paternal great grandparents and already juggling with space. You came to mind and I just wondered whether your lovely wife had got her pens out yet?

I've just had a little practice on some rectangles (same size as chart), it will have to be carefully penned block capitals for me.

20. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Short answer no. However more my fault than hers as I have yet to produce the template of names (and I agree space is a bit factor deciding what can be accomplished). My time over the last few months has been taken up with some new basic researching and updating two of my Trees. I have the special paper ordered on line which is still in its delivered tube, and the special pens and post it stickers. My wife is a bit undecided about the pens which she 'sort of' likes, but still thinks her calligraphy pens would be better. That can be sorted out later but we both agree it is likely best saved for the winter months.

If its any consolation I would not trust myself even with carefully penned block capitals but good luck and make sure your hands don't shake.