1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1851 Census 1576/103/7

Discussion in 'London' started by Marion727, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Marion727

Marion727 New Member

Ellen Pasby, Head, widow

Elizabeth E****, dau, age 6, born Lambeth

Ellen Pasby, dau, age 17 mths, born Clapham

Widow Ellen, nee Sullivan, was married to George Pasby 25 Oct 1847, Newington, St Mary. She was a spinster. George died in 1850. George previously had banns called for a marriage to Eleanor Sullivan, a widow, Dec 1846, but the marriage did not take place. An Eleanor Sullivan died Dec qtr 1846, St Pancras.

Who is Elizabeth E*****? Can anyone decipher her surname and find her in the GRO?

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It looks like EMMES to me but I can't see her in the GRO birth indexes.

3. Marion727

Marion727 New Member

She is my brick wall. I have been trying to find out about her for over 10 years! I know who she married but I would like to find her birth. I thought her surname was EMMES but no.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Agree Emmes in 1851 and nearest birth bet is Harriet Elizabeth Eames born 1845 in Lambeth. BQ2/Vol IV/page 290. Second best Elizabeh Emms born 1846 Marylebone. BQ4/Vol 1 Page 229.

5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

It doesn't look like any transcription error has ocurred but perhaps the recorder(s) had trouble with their spelling, based on how the name was pronounced to them. Might the marriage record shed any light to reduce the many possibilities?

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

It certainly is Emmes and she is listed as Ellen's daughter but she was born 1845 and Ellen and George did not marry until 1847 so we may assume that George is not the father. So did a Sullivan marry an Emmes around 1845? I cannot find one. There is a baptism on Ancestry Sept 20 1846 for an Elizabeth Eames, father William, mother Ellen, St Katharine Merstham, Surrey, but I cannot find a birth on FreeBMD to match it.

7. Marion727

Marion727 New Member

Elizabeth, a spinster, married Thomas Clarke, a widower, 22 Oct 1877, St Annes, Wandsworth. The MC states she is 31 and he is 38. Fathers’ names – John Clarke & George Pasby. Sister Ellen Pasby was a witness.

Elizabeth & Thomas had at least 4 children prior to their marriage in 1877, the earliest confirmed child being born 15 Mar 1868 in the Wandsworth & Clapham Union. He was baptised as Thomas Alfred Clark (sic) but married in the name of Thomas Alfred Pasby Clarke (sic). A further 4 children were born to Elizabeth & Thomas after their marriage.

I have not been able to find Elizabeth E**** in the 1861 census but from 1871 onwards she states she was born in Clapham. Her age is 26 in 1871 and is consistent give or take a year up to 1901.