1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Browser Tabs and Short Cuts

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Bryman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Heather said:
    Bryman has solved my problem, the "Show Desktop" icon is on the bottom right hand side of the screen and is a blue rectangle box

Yes Bob you are correct, I said right when I should have said left, sorry to confuse everyone. My "show desktop" icon is indeed on the left as is Bryman's and is a blue rectangle. Ok so now we are alright, that is of course unless you have left.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Heather you should have left it there. Please let this be the last post on the subject. Right?

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Right :rolleyes:

4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I have just shown a friend of mine how to use HOME and END instead of scrolling up and down on her lap top.
    She could not believe it.
    Thanks again Andrew.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Who's Andrew? "How to use HOME and END "

;)

6. Katie Bee

SORRY TIM :oops:
    I just did a search for "home" and came up with Andrew's post.
    I did not take the time to look for the first mention.
    Sorry again for being so slapdash.
    I will try very hard to make sure it does not happen again.
    It is still my favourite short cut :)
    K

7. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

:) No offence taken, just wondering who Andrew was as there are no posts by Andrew in this discussion! ;)

8. Katie Bee

I am having a bad day:eek:
    It should have been Alexander!
    So - sorry to him too.
    My brain hurts!!!!
    :confused:

9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Just got round to trying 'Home' and 'End' .....so simple and will save all that rolling of the wheel on my wireless mouse, should save a lot of assault on the battery !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LynneB

LynneB LostCousins Member

Speaking of shortcuts, having been sent to this thread by Tim from another thread where I mentioned discovering the use of F3 in FTM 2010 this week despite having used the software for nearly five years...

Can any FTM users tell me if there is a keyboard "short cut" to toggle between Web Search and People screens? I am left handed but use a mouse with my right hand ( years of sharing computers with classes of right handed students in computer labs set up that way) but use a lot of the keyboard short cuts mentioned with my left hand. I prefer the keyboard shortcuts!

I don't think it was mentioned, I sometimes use the control key with my left hand and the numeric keys with my right hand to toggle between different tabs in Firefox, especially when copying census data from FMP to Lost Cousins.

11. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

If you click on the view menu Lynne you will see all the shortcuts listed. So for Web Search its CTRL+7 for People its CTRL+2 (guessing its still that for FTM 2010 this is for FTM 2014).

12. LynneB

Thanks, Alexander. I have learnt to use all computer programs by using them, which is why I'm still learning things about FTM! I think it stems from the early days of my teaching/computer life using an Apple 2C at school and a John Sands Sega (a rubber keyboard) which plugged into our television at home! All the teaching staff had to learn as we went along in order to teach our students! I taught myself to program in BASIC on the Sega machine! Computers, software and I have come a long way since then but I doubt I could use either BASIC or LOGO to program now!

Is there a reason why the keyboard shortcuts on FTM only work with the keys along the top of the alphabet and not with the numeric keypad (which I instinctively reached for)? Number Lock is on but the short cuts don't work.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  13. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Number shortcuts typically only work with the keys along the top which is why it's relatively rare to find programs with numeric shortcuts as it is confusing to users. Not sure why FTM would have chosen to go down this route.

14. LynneB

I just thought it was odd because I use Firefox as my browser and I toggle between tabs by using the control key on the left and the numeric key on the right! This is the only time I've used numbers for short cuts (except for Alt + numbers to insert a symbol) so I find using the numeric keys along the top a bit clumsy.