1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Site problems May 2015 - now sorted

Discussion in 'New or updated features' started by Susan48, May 15, 2015.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I have just tried to log on to Lost Cousins to check this out but got this Internal Server Error message:
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@lostcousins.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I'm not aware of having done anything unusual :oops:

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There is some sort of the problem - I can log-in but if I do almost anything else I get the same error. I'll look into right away, but hopefully it will be some sort of temporary glitch.

In general it's best to use the email address in the message to report problems - all emails come to me.

3. peter

Now working - I didn't do anything.

4. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Not for me it isnt :( apparently

5. peter

I'm hoping it will be open again by Monday.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

There is an issue with server that hosts Lost Cousins.

Peter is aware and on the case.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

It's working fine now 3.00 pm Saturday in Australia thanks.

8. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Still no joy for me in NZ (17:15 Sat, 06:15 BST) :(

9. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I'm in Australia and it's 4:56pm on Saturday and it's still "closed for maintenance"

10. peter

Heather, the site is not officially open. The only reason you're able to access it is because you were already logged-in.

I would not recommend entering any data at the moment since I'm going to be spending the weekend checking the integrity of the database. Anyone who is desperate to log-in in order to view information can do so here, but please don't add any data or click the Search button.

Thanks for your co-operation.

11. peter

Currently the site is completely offline. I'll post an update when I know more.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Ok Peter thanks for that.

13. peter

The site is back online and I've made a few minor improvements, taking advantage of the relative peace and quiet!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  14. Bryman

Is that quiet because nobody can log in?

"The page isn't redirecting properly
    Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

The home page displays but I cannot get any further.

15. peter

Nobody else has reported any problems, and I don't have any difficulty whether I use Chrome (my normal browser), Firefox, or even IE.

16. Tim

Bryman, I use Chrome and it's all good now.

It might be a cache issue, you could try restarting Chrome and/or clearing your cache.

17. Bryman

No disrespect intended but I have never found that clearing my browser cache has ever solved a problem. It seems to be the standard stock phrase of most support departments. I suspect to just get rid of the complaining customer and give them more time to think/run.

I have cleared my cache.
    I have restarted Firefox.
    I have rebooted.
    I still get the same message when I try to access Lost Cousins. I seem to be able to get into all other web sites without any problems.

I was logged in to the Lost Cousins site when the recent problems occurred. Does anything need to be reset before I can re-access?

18. Bryman

Problem resolved. I deleted the Lost Cousins login cookie and now I have got into the site.

19. peter

Well done - I'll mention this in my next newsletter in case anyone else has a similar problem.

20. Tim

Clearing the cache doesn't delete the cookies in Firefox then? That's good to know.