1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Army burials in South Africa

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Liz-W, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Are there any known records regarding burials for casualties of the Boer War, or would only burial details be recorded for officers?
    Alfred Stockton died of enteric fever at Modder Spruit on 9th April 1900, aged 28.
    At the time of his death Alfred was a Private in 2nd. Battalion Somersetshire Light Infantry.

2. Carolyn

Carolyn LostCousins Member

For the Boer War I have used the Soldiers of the Queen in the Second Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 website. Doing a search for Stockton and looking at the links, it looks like he is listed at the Elandslaagte Naval Cemetery, but it is not obvious to me if that is where he is buried. The photos of the memorials are on the Anglo Boer War website and there is also a Forum there. You could try asking your question there if you get no answers here. Had one more look and found something on a site called eGGSA Library which indicates that the memorials are for "1890-1902 British officers and men died in field hospitals now Buried at Elandslaagte".

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I can only find Ancestry's Casualties of the Boer War 1899-1902 record which shows the details you give plus the Somerset Light Infantry was part of the South Africa (Natal) Field Force and his number was 2929. No details on Burials found but good luck with your searching

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Bob Spiers

upload_2015-4-30_10-34-45.png PTE STOCKTON,A...found this following Carolyn's recommendation of the EGGSA Library It is shown under No. 3 of the British Naval Cemetery's listed. Not sure which one but no doubt further enquiry will narrow it down.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Thank you Carolyn and Bob for responding to my query.
    Carolyn, I have searched numerous websites for information on Alfred Stockton and the history of "Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light Infanty" including 'Anglo Boer War' website but not come across the other websites you mention, so many thanks for that. I thought my next step would be looking at the records of the battalion held at TNA. - not something I looked forward to and certainly not for the near future.
    For any other members with Birmingham ancestors who fought & died in the Boer War, there is a monument to them (with names inscribed), in Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham, It s still well maintained and set in a lovely gardened area. I have a photograph of it if anyone is interested but can't work out how to put a copy from my pc to this site.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Liz, new members have to wait for a week or 5 posts before they can upload files to the forums. It's a security measure.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Bob Spiers

Hi Liz, when you qualify (as per Tim's note) I would like to see a photo copy of the Cannon Hill Monument. Not sure whether it will contain any of my Brummie ancestors, but you never know?

8. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Hello Bob, the names on the monument cover the four sides of the plinth forming the base of this imposing statue. If you can let me know the name(s) you are interested in I can have a look and if any are shown take a photo of them ready to post on the forum - when I qualify - it will take me that long to work out how it's done!

9. Bob Spiers

Very kind of you Liz and am I right in thinking we are fellow Brummies, although in my case an expatriate one and for many years living in Kent. My primary names are Spiers & Westbury (paternal) and Adams & Witts (maternal) they were large families in their own right, and I have not isolated for certain any that fought and were lost in the Boer War so will omit first names. Likewise of course there are any number of surnames via marriage links and some of their fine sons may well also be involved. But for now if you can just check out the four primary surnames that will be a great help.

When you come of age (qualify) for posting photos I am it will all be made clear anyway. By the way if you want to check out some of my Brummie postings you will find some within the Warwickshire link as well as Growing up in the 1950's. If I can help in any way let me know.

10. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My maternal great grandfather fought in the Boer War. I have a banner/scarf-type item that says "Relief of Ladysmith" on it. Thank you Carolyn, for the first link in your post; with it I was able to find a name that might have been his although it listed a second name that I did not know he had.

11. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Hi Bob, Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your message regarding family names on the Boer War memorial - I've been without a stable broadband connection for a week but, hopefully, the problem is now resolved.
    I've made a note of the names you mentioned and will certainly take photos of any that appear on the memorial. I'll try and get over to Cannon Hill later this week but at the moment it's blowing a gale & pouring with rain!
    Most of my maternal family, going back generations, came from Birmingham where I too was born; Returned in my late teens and been here ever since. Birmingham has been good to me and, although there are lots of things I'm not too impressed with I wouldn't move away again. Will be in touch soon.

12. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Note Liz you are now shown as a Lost Cousins member so you can post the photos now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Bob Spiers

Thanks a lot Liz, but no hurry and make sure you choose a sunny day, which seem to have disappeared at this moment replaced by wind and rain; April certainly spoiled us.

FYI I was born in Birmingham (but have both Warwickshire & Worcestershire roots)and had two sisters both younger, one by 2 years the other by 7. Neither remained in Brum one moved to Kent (before me actually) and the other to Australia. Our parents have long passed on and the last patriarch of the family (an Uncle) died aged 87 the year before last so family that remain (and there are a fair few) are cousins. However the thing that drew me back (with my wife) year after year - and quite a few times in the year, was to visit and stay with an old friend and his wife. We had known each other since childhood (a friendship approaching 60 years) when sadly he died in 2010. Trips back are now mostly annual and we stay with a cousin or my friends wife, and make the round of visiting cousins and other friends...and not forgetting tending the family grave at Brandwood Cemetery.

The City has changed but I can still manage to find my way around give or take the changing traffic layouts and modernisations. I have a great deal of love for the place and like to read Carl Chinn's Brummagem magazine (I have his calendar hanging in my (home) office). My wife and I are both retired and I have been into Genealogy for over 10 years; I guess you will pick up the rest from reading some of my Forum posts.

I picked up Alexander's post saying you can now post photos so good luck with that.

14. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Still not been to check for your ancestors names on the memorial Bob, but as I now have internet access, thanks to a new router, I thought I would have a go at posting the photo's of the memorial I mentioned. ( Alexander says I'm now 'legal'). The 2nd photo is of the front of the pedestal showing two figures representing grief & sympathy. They are holding a shield with the following inscription:
    "To the glorious memory of the sons of Birmingham who fell in the South African war 1899-1902 and to perpetuate the example of all who served in the war this memorial is erected by their fellow citizens."
    Hope this is the correct way of posting photos and that you are able to see them larger than the Thumbnail images I have used.

Attached Files:

15. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Liz, Thumbnails are good and yes, that look really good when you view them full size.

16. Bob Spiers

Yes agree with Tim, well done Liz and don't worry about visiting, just as and when you can.

17. Liz-W

Liz-W LostCousins Member

Hi Bob, at last got to Cannon Hill park. From the names you gave me there were only two who may be connected. Cpl. J. Adams & Pte. H.J. Spires. I know the spelling of 'Spires' is slightly different
    but you never know what may crop up in future research. - The photo of the inscription for Cpl. Adams is a bit slanted because there wasn't a convenient bench for me to stand on at that side!!

Attached Files:

18. Bob Spiers

Hi Liz, thanks a bunch and will now take time out to check on both. Nothing immediately springs to mind but there's no way I can recall all my Spiers & Adams names especially just from initials, but either way I appreciate the effort taken I really do.

19. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Just looking through any posts relating to South Africa, where I was born, and came across this old post. Hopefully you've made some progress but you may be interested to know that the Talana Museum may also be of help for anyone in the future. I approached them in the hope that they might help me find any information regarding my great-great-grandfather and they managed to find him mentioned once as an informer for the death of someone. They didn't send any copies of the record but supplied me with the information without even charging me. I was most grateful for their help. I still havn't found when he died but at least I've been able to narrow it down to between 1921 and 1945 - a large gap but at least a guide. What makes it even more difficult is that his name is Thomas Benjamin JOHN. :)