1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Browser Tabs and Short Cuts

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by Bryman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Right, Bob. And you do realise, don't you, that that's the second time you've got me and Pauline mixed up!! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

CTRL + A is another good shortcut.

If you are in a field, this will highlight all text and then you can use CTRL + C to copy it. If you are in a document, it will again copy all the text.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Assuming there is an internet connection in the field;)

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've never used Win+E either Gillian. As Bob says if something is genuinely quick and easy to remember and you find it useful then use it. If it seems more hassle than benefit don't use it.

Incidentally on the subject of shortcuts our receptionist at work here was having issues with scrolling the report with her mouse on our new internal website. I said oh just use PAGE UP & PAGE DOWN keys to scroll up or down. Then the next day she said she was still having issues as the page up & down "scrolled too fast" when she held down the key. I sighed heavily (internally not so she could hear) and suggested she perhaps she instead pressed the key rather than held it down and that would work. Oh yes that's better she said. I also showed her she could use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to scroll through a document/webpage without having to reach for the mouse.

Strange how some things like PAGEUP & PAGEDOWN, UP & DOWN arrow keys and HOME and END I didn't even think of as shortcuts I'd just assumed everyone would use them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexander Bisset

If he's out in a field one has to assume he has a portable device and is using wifi. Not sure why he'd be in field though? Having a picnic Tim? ;)

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Isn't that the expression used when sending Missionaries out to untamed countries to "spread the word"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim

I wasn't sure what Emjay meant either, perhaps he's having a field day?

8. Tim

Countries or forum posters? :D

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

And no doubt won't be the last. My wife thinks it a family thing as both my sisters confuse the names of people and even mix up the names of sisters with daughters. On Skype Pat in Australia will tell me she has not long spoken with Gail (her daughter), when she means Dot her sister (and the funny thing I know instantly who she means even before her husband sitting along side her tells her she means Dot). My other sister is just as bad although her idiosyncrasy is to mix up daughters and granddaughters. It quite comical and its usually my wife who interjects with the 'you mean so and so Dot' to which she remarks, 'isn't that who I said?.

As for me I am sure my wife could take over the rest of the page telling the times when tell her I have bumped into someone. I say you remember 'what's his name'? I think he's called Robbie or Robert or Randall only to have her remark when she finally understands who I mean; "you mean Kerry". She has tried to coach me into remembering the names of our two new neighbours (who I know from a note alongside are Kiera & Raoul) but will be completely gone from my memory next time we meet. It's not fair because in return how could anyone not recall Bob & Barbara (B&B) as neighbours?

Luckily in the Forum I have yet to confuse Tim with Alexander and I think it is because I know Alexander does not like his name shortened whereas Tim has always been Tim just as I have always been Bob. I have found myself confusing Emjay & Bryman on occasion but have so far not transgressed by cross naming them .

As for Gillian & Pauline I will do my best to keep you separate and hope to goodness I do not invent a third name for either of you. In keeping with the topic (lest I stray and earn 'what's-his-names opprobrium) I will try to find a shortcut to keep my mind focussed.o_O

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I really don't mind being called Pauline just as long as Pauline doesn't mind being called Gillian and just as long as we know which one of us it is you mean, Bob. Your trouble with names reminds me (vaguely) of my mother's trouble, which meant I grew up getting used to being called Patrick Neville Gillian. And I expect my brothers had to get used to the same three names, in the appropriate order, that is.

11. Tim

Have you tried some memory techniques? So, not knowing what these people look like but Raoul sounds like a pirates name, which reminds me of Captain Jack Sparrow who reminds me of Keira Neightley ;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thanks Bryman, I didn't have a little blue triangle nor a little blue rectangle on the right but I do have a little blue rectangle on the left which indeed says "show desktop" when hovered over, thanks all.

13. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Windows Vista Alexander, Bryman has solved my problem, the "Show Desktop" icon is on the bottom right hand side of the screen and is a blue rectangle box, thanks

14. Tim

Mines a vertical bar on the right hand side, I'm on Win 7, but I use it fairly often.

15. Bob Spiers

Forgive me for being confused, but are these two statements not contradictory? You didn't have a blue rectangle on the right, but now you do have. Didn't Bryman say his was on the left?

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Right first time (I mean left)! Do make allowances, Bob. Have you never driven a car and had a passenger (of a certain gender) give apparently wrong directions? :confused: "You know what I mean!". Didn't John Cleese play the part of a headmaster in a film based on something similar?

(I wasn't going to make a comment, until I saw your post, left for all to read. Right?)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

And remember Pauline and Gillian, Bob!

18. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm feel the need to rename part of this thread - "impenetrable in-jokes avoid if you are a new user (was browser tabs and short-cuts)"

19. Bob Spiers

Suitably chastened Gillian!

20. Bob Spiers

And will be again I'm sure Alexander but you have to make allowance for the odd detour and it never stops me offering to help newcomers. One day many of them will be contributors to such detours and will love every minute of it.