1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilySearch website issue

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Pauline, Jan 24, 2015.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

:D

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

No, my husband is not named Ken. :)

Naturally I'm aware that a whole multitude of things can go wrong with my computer that are beyond my control, and without any input from me. However, when something like that happens, it usually affects more than just the browsing of one particular website, and it doesn't tend to get better by itself.

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

OK truce on that one Pauline as we have both made our point and I accept what you say has a deal of sense.

However I thought it would interest you to know this morning IE10 would not load in any way shape or form on one of my computers and a reboot did not help. (I will call it PC1 and it is the one I use that for the Forum so I am posting this on PC2 which works perfectly well using IE10). Back to PC1 I notice after quite a long absence since rolling back to IE10 Windows update has suggested I ought to upgrade to IE11. As I mentioned in another posting I had already conceded IE11 on a computer (Pc3) to test out Family Search (which worked well) so I have decided to (re) install IE11 on PC1 and see if it behaves itself. Now is all this a dastardly deed by Microsoft to encourage the upgrade or is just one of those blips that come and go? Nobody knows and he's not telling!:(

PS By the way both Chrome & Firefox work perfectly well!

4. Glenys Travis

Glenys Travis Member

New computer running Windows 8.1. Interestingly, at end January, screen locked up. No idea what I was doing wrong. Control/Alt/Delete had no effect. Did what I always did previously - turned computer off. Turned it on again and got the dreaded blue screen. Complete crash. Computer in workshop for 5 days, ultimately restored. Experts said crash due to turning off while Windows was down loading a huge update (without any warning) (maybe a little tiny ikon lurking unseen somewhere in the task bar). Expensive mistake and a furious me. The difficulties reported above seem to have all happened in January.

5. Bob Spiers

Never did like the month but I doubt that has anything to do with it, but you never know; with computers. By that I mean you cannot predict; one minute angelic the next demonic. I am aware that preventing Windows completing a major download can have unfortunate consequence, but this normally takes the form of a big sulk and opening in Safe Mode to sort out. At worst carry out a Repair or Restore Factory Settings which is likely what your 'expert' did.

I would normally associate such behaviour after preventing a Service Pack update, but as far as I know Microsoft have not issued a Service pack for 8.1 and doubt there will be need with Windows 10 around the corner. Still if that -or something as significant - was the reason it was, as you say, an expensive mistake nor to recognise the tell tale signs that a PC was updating. There are usually plenty of DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER warnings, unless there was a power cut or you accidently switched off at the mains. Keep an eye on your Task Bar (or whatever passes for such in 8.1 as I have mine overlaid with a Windows 7 overlay) and when you close down look for the (!) symbol on the Power off button; a sure sign an update is awaiting. Fingers crossed for the future anyway.

6. Glenys Travis

Glenys Travis Member

Thanks Bob for the comforting words! That's what I would have expected and that's why I was (still am) so cross. There was no warning and no noticeable indication that the computer was doing anything at all. Ah well. If it happens again I shall stalk off and leave the recalcitrant thing to its own devices!

7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Ah, the dreaded Windows 8.1. I have to admit that I have been a wimp and have put the new laptop aside and have been using my desktop. I realise that I will have to bite the bullet one day:confused:.

8. Bob Spiers

Leaving aside the original 8.0 version of the desktop which was universally disliked but greatly improved with its 8.1 update -despite those like myself who prefer to have 'Classic Shell' overlay to resemble Windows 7 desktop - the cognoscenti (the Computer Magazine fraternity) all come down on the side of 8.1 as a more stable system. Of course much depends on individual PC or laptop qualities, but generally 8.1 is quite a capable system, opening and closing down more quickly and less susceptible to crashes (Sorry Glenys and speaking of which it occurs to me perhaps your laptop was in the process of upgrading to 8.1 which was a major, major update; just a thought anyway)o_O

9. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Windows 10 will be out in the Autumn (northern hemisphere autumn) this year as a FREE upgrade to Windows 7, Windows 8 & Windows 8.1. It returns to the Windows 7 desktop look but with lots of stability improvements and crucially a "fluid update" process so that in future questions such as "what version of windows are you running" will be obsolete as it will always keep your system up to date. At least that's the theory.

10. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't allow automatic updates - I always like to know what's happening and when.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Do you do that with Chrome/Firefox too? ie: specifically disable auto updating? Most users of Chrome and Firefox aren't even aware that it gets regularly updated. It's efficiently dealt with "behind the scenes" so that you are always running the latest version. Microsoft is playing catchup with introducing that feature in Windows 10.

Note too because Windows 10 will be free upgrade for a period Microsoft have said they will be aggressively sticking to their obsolescence dates for Windows 7 and Windows 8. In case forum readers aren't aware Windows 7 has ALREADY entered its end of mainstream support phase on 13th January 2015. This means support calls to Microsoft are now chargeable, new fixes will still be available for next 5 years however, with end of life being 14th January 2020. The dates for Windows 8.1 are 9th Jan 2018 and 10th Jan 2023 respectively.

What that means is that if you have a Windows 7 machine and don't upgrade to FREE Windows 10 by 2020 then you will have to pay for an upgrade. I also wouldn't be surprised if the free upgrade period for Windows 7->10 isn't even shorter to encourage faster take up.

See the Windows 10 Website for details. Note in particular they feature the "Always up to date" which strongly suggests you won't have the option not to install updates in future.

12. Bob Spiers

I've never had problems with allowing automatic updates (the recommended set up) and over time have dabbled with the other options, except 'never check for updates' - which is a recipe for disaster. I was going to comment further on the two other options when - surprise, surprise -what should appear on my other screen (dual monitor) but the message Windows update... 'Restart your computer to finish installing important updates'. There is a sliding bar showing 10 (just dipped to 9) minutes before auto restart, and I have the option to 'Remind in xx minutes'. I could opt to extend but now is as good as any, so will 'toodle off' and let the update complete.

13. Bob Spiers

That question was posed in my Computer Magazine (regarding Microsoft implying that Windows 10 'always up to date' means updates will be applied automatically) and like Alexander's answer the interpretation was that that would appear to be the case. I too think it quite likely but no doubt in a different behind the scenes manner. An interesting point anyway.

14. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

There might be a slight difference between Windows and other software in that updates do not become effective until that program is next started.
    If a system is powered off during the download of a browser update then the next time that the browser is started, the download needs to be repeated. Windows is not currently able to do that so it is more important that an update is not interrupted. I hope that Windows 10 does that better.

15. Bob Spiers

Yes agree with all Bryman says, particularly with regard to requiring a PC to be restarted before a Windows Update takes effect and that its download should not be interrupted. We should remember that many (if not most) Windows updates offer security patches to combat loopholes found by the nasty hacking fraternity, and we should lose no time in updating and restarting to let them take effect.