1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilySearch website issue

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Pauline, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Firefox is fully up to date, non Beta, and with javascript enabled. I don't have Chrome and at present don't intend to get it.

Your assessment of the website is very interesting and informative. However, in terms of the specific issue I am having (the one about which I started this thread), there must be other variables involved besides browser and operating system. I am using Win 7 and experiencing the problem in both IE11 and Firefox; the problem only occurs on my first visit to the site on any given day, and all is normal for subsequent visits - even if I switch browsers between my first and subsequent visits.

Others using Windows 7 are not experiencing this issue with either of these browsers, nor with Chrome. So things are not quite as straight forward as they might seem.

I haven't changed my set-up since the FamilySearch website worked normally for me, so I can only assume that the issue has been triggered by recent changes to the website. Either an error has been introduced in the recent changes or there is something about my set-up that was not envisaged by the developers.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

No clearly not. I had thought my investigations would reveal something that might give some indication of what is wrong.

It could be because of the changes (and indeed I thought it was that) but we cannot ignore that others are not experiencing the problems. That to me points to some change (and likely behind the scenes and unknown to you) within your own PC's setup. What that could be is another question.

My first suggestion would be to open in Safe Mode (choose Networking) and see if there is still a problem when you open a browser and access FS. Secondly I wonder if it is too late to do a System Restore to a point before the problem arose. Probably yes but I throw it in just in case.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

A lot of software updates itself automatically (depending on the settings you've chosen); I have 6 system restore points in the second half of January, all as a result of updates to Windows 7.

4. Pauline

I guess I can't entirely rule that out, but it seems unlikely. The only issue is at the FamilySearch website, so I think it more likely that whatever has changed is there not on my computer.

I cannot help comparing this with the "Save image" issue at Ancestry - then I was all but a lone voice, but nevertheless it was a change at Ancestry which triggered the problem (and due to an error they have made). Yes, it was the set-up on my computer which reacted to their error, but it wasn't something I'd changed or could even do anything about - short of ditching a perfectly good monitor and buying a new one.

Yes, you're right, it is too late. Also, if as I believe the change is at their end rather mine, it wouldn't help anyway.

5. Pauline

Yes, as mentioned before, I did update Windows, and that would have made changes to my set-up, but most people will have updated Windows at the same time, so it seems unlikely that this triggered the issue.

None of my software updates automatically - I always set things up to notify me, but I do the actual updating at my convenience.

6. Bob Spiers

You made no comment on my suggestion to open in Safe Mode (selecting the networking option). This is one of my main fall back ways of checking whenever I experience a problem, particular an online one. I never fail to be surprised that a problem experienced in standard mode quite often does not happen in Safe mode which (as the name suggests) only loads the bare minimum drivers, and files and limits everything else. This will not in itself resolve standard mode operation but (assuming things operate as intended) there is a follow up next step which may well isolate the problem.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  7. Pauline

Sorry about that - I was in a bit of a hurry when doing yesterday's replies. This was something I tried (without success) with the problem at the Ancestry website, but I've since realised that my internet security program isn't fully functional in Safe Mode, and have also read that the networking option should really only be used in crisis situations, which this isn't. Since I'm less than convinced that there is an actual "problem" on my computer, I am rather reluctant to try this at present.

One thing I have been trying to do is work out exactly when the issue started, the difficulty being that I don't normally visit FamilySearch every day, I did very little researching over the holiday period, and think it probably happened at least 2 or 3 times before I realised there was an ongoing issue on their website. So the last time it was working normally for me might have been late December or it might have been early January, but things were almost certainly still OK after Windows updates in December, but not OK before the January updates.

Other than Windows updates, I am struggling to think of anything around that time which might have changed things on my computer. There were one or two Flash updates but I've already eliminated Flash, and the only other thing would have been my routine AV updates. I didn't install any new software, and I cannot remember updating anything else.

So I'm still apt to think that, although conflicting with something on my computer, the change which triggered the issue was more likely to have been on the website than on my computer.

8. Pauline

Just to clarify this a bit - I do acknowledge that very probably something about my computer set-up is contributing to this issue, and that this is why it is happening to me and not to others.

However, I don't think that necessarily means that there is something actually wrong with my computer, and am thinking more towards whatever it is being a feature of my set-up rather than a fault.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. Bob Spiers

Yes I never implied, or hope I didn't, that there was a fault with your PC (hardware or software) and indeed I do believe it is a feature of your set up; and perhaps emanating within start up programs which is why I suggested Safe Mode.

I am surprised to see you think Safe Mode poses a threat as I have been directed time and again by Microsoft (and a long time recommendation of computer magazines when considering PC problems ) to try this before anything else. It has long been the first diagnostic test to make. As you need to check something online you need the Networking option which I almost always select anyway. For the time it takes to check out to see if the problem still exists we are talking minutes and Norton even in a cut down mode, will still protect.

Have to go off now but will elaborate on checking start up programs, unless you are already conversant on how to do this.

10. Bob Spiers

Incidentally, apropos IE11 in Windows 7, I decided to permit one of my Windows 7 PC's to upgrade to IE11 with the purpose of course of checking the Family Search site. I can report FS opened without a problem and the search opened with the new style input format, (not a lot different form the old except the map (search by location) is below) but the search result was as I said with Firefox & Google old style with the search input on the left and results on the right. That has now allowed me to cover all options (Win 7 & 8.1) except Safari or Opera browsers which I do not use.

11. Pauline

You probably didn't imply it, but I think I was assuming that was what was meant. I guess I was thinking of a feature as something that's been there for ages and that I probably can't do anything about (like my screen resolution), whereas a fault is something that's crept in more recently - and probably shouldn't have.

Not Safe Mode as such, only being online in Safe Mode. According to Norton's own information, it is not providing proper security online when in Safe Mode. However, I will look into this further and then maybe try it, although I probably won't have chance until after the weekend now.

I will also check what's currently in my start-up manager - if there's nothing new or recently updated in there, I suspect that the "feature" may be something else.

I guess it may come down to past experience - I have yet to discover or resolve any issue by using Safe Mode, which makes me question if the benefits of using it online will outweigh the risks.

12. Bob Spiers

Although I have no formal training after many years of using computers -mainly PC's - I have learned a few tricks of the trade and know others online who will help if I am stumped. I look after my own computers as well as most in the family plus friends and neighbours and often all I have to go on is 'my computer is playing up'.

Depending on the problem -which will determine what to try first - I check Device Manager, Msconfig (offering a variety of options particularly with start up problems), good old System Restore and Safe mode. The easiest solution if a problem is relatively new is System Restore; even if you have to go back a week or more depending on when you last installed new software. But my favourite is Safe Mode even if just to see if the problem encountered goes away when the PC does not have to contend with third party software or drivers.

I note what you say about Norton not working in Safe Mode and that is quite true(I apologise for implying previously it could in cut down operation). It is unable to do so of course because is one of the third party pieces of software that is barred from loading. You may find it strange but I have never worried about computer vulnerability in Safe Mode and the reason is two fold: one I am rarely in it for long and two, once back in standard mode I have Norton (or an equivalent) to discover any 'baddies' or of course I can carry out a scan. I have no idea on the odds of being hacked in safe mode but pretty remote that is for sure.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  13. Bob Spiers

The chickens came home to roost today when my wife asked me to check her laptop telling me her AOL desktop (not to be confused with the computer desktop) was taking ages to open, but then performed without problem. (It had apparently being doing it for quite a few days but she only got round to telling me today). That sounded familiar because when the AOL Desktop icon is clicked it opens AOL's Home page on the web which uses a dedicated (cut down) version of IE licensed to AOL. One of AOL's greatest attributes (and these days it does not have many others over its rivals) is the simplicity of its email program built into the AOL desktop; one of the best around. My wife steadfastly refuses to use any other; as do I for that matter even though today we are actually with TalkTalk.

So I need to find out why the AOL desktop 'hangs' on her laptop (Windows 7 by the way) and needless say it performs fine on my own computers, so that is something else familiar to Pauline's FS problem. I will try to check on the problem over the weekend which will give me a chance to practice what I preach, diagnostically speaking. I think it too much to expect that the solution -if found - will have any bearing on Pauline's problem, but you never know!o_O

14. Bob Spiers

After trying No Script for a relatively short time I can truly say it is a NO NO for me. I cannot fault its uses - to stop scripts just opening when you click on a web page (you are required to authorise each and every one). But after you have given permission a dozen or more times on a dozen or so occasions, you too will tire of the thing. To disable click on the three horizontal bars, select extensions or Appearances panel on the left, find NoScript and select the Disable tab. You can remove it if you wish but just in case you change your mind disable works just as well.

15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob, regarding your post mentioning AOL email...thanks...it has reminded me that I have a AOL email account. I have stayed with yahoo as my main email account because of the ease of use but this last week had a 'hacking email' which unfortunately I opened on my phone. The mobile email layout is so different than 'the bigger picture' as viewed on my laptop, so I opened it :mad: Last year a
    similar attempt just looked so wrong when viewed on my laptop that I immediately deleted it. I contacted the friend who had forwarded the email, and he told me his contact list had been hacked and the same rogue email had been sent to all recipients. This is what has happened to me this time. My friend also has a yahoo address and annoyingly this recent email was forwarded to him from the same source('friend') as the last time!:mad: (Peter (lost cousins) has advised me to close the yahoo account) BTW my Yahoo page 'hangs' whenever I open it, so still on topic;)

So I am deleting my contact list from yahoo and gradually informing sites to which I subscribe e.g. Find My Past. Having had a look at the format/ease of use of AOL email, I think that I will use it as my primary email account. I have a 'google' mail account but find it difficult/strange to useo_O

AOL* is my ISP and has been so since I signed up for broadband. It still offers me the best broadband and telephone package.

*Now part of "TalkTalk"

16. Bob Spiers

Yes another familiar topic. I too have been involved on four occasions, twice sadly, when it was my email account that was hacked and friends were unwittingly involved and twice when I had been in the same position as yourself but receiving Hotmail (not Yahoo) hacked emails sent unknowingly via friends' address books. (My nephew however who has a Yahoo account has been 'hit' twice, and I am forever telling his to ditch Yahoo which has quite a reputation for such happenings).

I have never had a Yahoo email address but have had a Hotmail account seemingly for ever and Gmail for a year or so. I call these communal emails and Google mail (aka Gmail) is another. I use both Hotmail (now morphed into Outlook) & Gmail very sparingly mostly to sign in to online accounts rather than send to friends. If you use any of them make sure your password is as good as you can make it at least 10 characters long using an odd upper case letter,random number(s) and characters ($&*). That's the best advice but see later as well.

My main email account still has the @AOL suffix, even though as you say AOL UK is owned and run by TalkTalk but as I have used the same email for years I did not want to change. I do however have some additional AOL names, and of course one under TalkTalk. Some of the problems of the past with AOL email (Peter has drawn attention to this on occasion in the past) are largely now resolved, or at least have not come to my attention of late. As I said in my previous posting, AOL is particularly user friendly for email, even if its desktop browser isn't. If in doubt access the AOL (or TalkTalk) web site through your normal browser, that will overcome its seeming tendency to 'hang' though I still have that under observation.

Back to the actual hacking, there is little you can do to prevent yourself receiving 'hacked' emails from friends and family - but pay particularly attention to those from the 3 communal sources mentioned above. It calls for self vigilance and beware when asked to click on a link which is where the problem lies. If you have family & friends who are always sending links to scenic pictures or funnies, ask them to add a personal message "you'll like this Bob"....sort of thing. As to your own email even if not one of the communal types, then password, password, password is the order of the day. I recall Alexander telling how he does this by thinking of a saying or perhaps a silly sentence (like, but make up your own) -the cat sat on the mat and ate green figs. Use the initial letters, start with a couple of numbers, add a couple of random upper case letters, one or two symbols and finish on a number. Then commit it to memory and write it down and keep safe. That's the best armour you can have. After all hackers want an easy life and their intruder programs sniff out easy targets. Just make sure you are not one of them.:)

Of course ensure you have a good security program like Kaspersky or Norton and there are some good free additional 'spyware' programs on the market you can run in ad hoc fashion as well (ignore comments that they clash with your main behind the scenes security program as I have used such additional programs for years and for sleuthing out 'nasty ' adware & cookies they are top notch). Belt and bracers works for me every time;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Pauline

Any luck with this?

I've now had a look in my start-up manager and there's nothing new in there, nor anything which, as far as I'm aware, has been updated recently.

I also checked my CPU and Memory logs immediately after making a first visit of the day to FamilySearch and there was no sign of any untoward usage in either - looked pretty average for web browsing.

18. Bob Spiers

To be fair no, but I am now almost sure the problem with my wife's laptop hanging is CPU overload (its an old low spec laptop that had XP, then Vista and last upgraded by me to Windows 7). She admits to the problem when she has several windows open likely viewing (say) eBay, Facebook, Amazon and the like -perhaps playing game offline as well - and then thinks to check her email. I have asked her to check her email as a first task and see if the same thing happens, this morning she said it performed OK. I will have to check with Task manager to monitor the CPU loading with each operation and particularly when the AOL site is opened. That is on-going for the moment but I think it is likely overload.

You say there is nothing new in start-up, but what about what is old? I take it you have accessed same via msconfig, if so you could attempt the tried and tested 'Disable all' and see if that makes any difference or tackle them say two at a time; disabling and enabling as you go.. A bit of a fiddly process but if it is a start up application that is giving grief, this is the best way to discover the culprit. It only takes one application -and it doesn't have to be new - to be 'disagreeing' (for want of a better word) with Family Search loading protocols which may have changed with the new formatting of the site.

This morning I did an msconfig on one of my computers and lo and behold found iTunes had crept in probably from a recent (forgotten) update. I gave it the order of the boot. That is the sort of start up that could slow down things and cause other problems. Such programs need to perform when wanted.

Failing a start up problem, the one thing remaining is too high a security setting within IE (or Firefox of course) causing a handshake problem. Or perhaps you need to set FS as a trusted site within Norton, although you may already have done this. I presume there is no block on scripting within IE/Firefox although again I believe that has also been covered. Perhaps Pauline it is doomed to be another Ancestry type problem??:( I will ponder further and advise if I think of anything that might help.

19. Pauline

After my recent checks I do feel that the issue has almost certainly been triggered by changes at FamilySearch rather than anything on my computer.

I also think it's unlikely to be anything to do with my browser settings since the issue is not browser specific. However, if changes made by FamilySearch are making the site take issue with my browser security, then I think I'll just live with it - I'm not having problems anywhere else, and would prefer not to compromise my security.

Thing is I don't have much time to try and sort this right now, so I might just have to live with the 30 second hold-up for the time being and hope it get sorted sometime.

20. Bob Spiers

Can't say I blame you Pauline, after all what is 30 seconds, other than half a minute of course.

• Agree Agree x 1