1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilySearch website issue

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Pauline, Jan 24, 2015.

1. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

I now use debian Linux as my sole operating system, but having been with windows for years as well I know how frustrating things can get!
    Each version of windows has its own idiosyncrasies. You just have to be patient with it...:rolleyes:

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Emjay, you give me hope for the future:)!

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

OK, interesting experiment today. I used Firefox rather than IE to make my first visit of the day to FamilySearch - and although the page appeared pretty much straight away, everything still locked up for 20-30 seconds.

Interestingly, though, Firefox was more informative, with a message down the bottom left of the browser saying "transferring data from edge.fscdn.org...". This disappeared as the "lock-up" ended, and went on to the next bit of the page being loaded.

I then tried IE to see if, being my first visit of the day with that browser, everything would lock up again. But no, the page loaded instantly with no lock-up.

So my conclusion is that this issue is not browser specific, and that on my first visit to the site each day a large chunk of data is being downloaded somewhere, and that each time I reboot it is being deleted. Now it's a case of what, where and why?

I have done a live chat at FamilySearch and that was about as useful as a chocolate teapot! They couldn't even tell me what the data might be, although digging around a bit it seems it might be where some of their website images come from.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it might be to do with cookies.

5. Pauline

In what sense? Do you mean one that is expiring each day?

I don't normally delete cookies as I'm selective about which sites I accept them from - and I do accept them from FamilySearch. TIFs on the other hand I delete most days, but when I didn't delete them nothing changed.

I did try deleting all my cookies a few days ago but it made no difference. I also tried blocking cookies from FamilySearch, but again nothing changed - except that a search wouldn't then work.

6. Pauline

Just thought - if it's not browser specific, surely it can't be a cookie issue?

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

As I understand it edge.fscdn.org is a IP Lookup Tool which can find the whereabouts of a computer or router, the owner and the name of the computer. (Big brother is watching sort of thing). So what it all comes down to I believe is that each day to start with Family Search (courtesy of edge.fscdn.org) is checking you out. Once verified you are free to browse for the rest of the day. Something along those lines anyway.

I agree with your Firefox experiment it is not Browser specific but seems certainly to be Pauline specific; so why you?

Yes that is the 64,000$ question and it has to be related to your security set up or a related add on piece of software such as one that searches, finds and deletes URL information; in your case set to do so on closure?

For instance I have 'Clean Sweep' which is designed to delete web caches, system caches & other software "junk". It is programmed by default to scan behind the scenes at start up and then its familiar brush logo shows requesting permission to proceed. Even so nothing happens until it is given permission to delete anything and I often leave it for a few days rather than every day.

I know you have Norton (as do I) but do not think it is part of Norton's makeup but could be wrong and if it is it you would probably know as it would have to be customised. Other than that and checking for add on (perhaps forgotten) security -or even tune up software - that could be performing covertly behind the scenes, I have run out of ideas for now. Let us know how you get on.

8. Pauline

That's what's mystifying - apart from updates to Windows and Flash, I haven't made any changes to my computer recently, and in Win 7 programs can't install themselves without my permission, so I can only assume something has changed on the website.

I can't help wondering if it could somehow be down to my old friend (enemy?) screen resolution, as with Ancestry and saving images. Maybe it isn't this time, but I'm running out of possibilities.

9. Pauline

Looking further, fscdn.org is a domain owned by FamilySearch, and apparently where they store most of their website files - JavaScript, css, images etc. It will therefore need to identify my browser etc so it knows which files to load, but I don't know if it will be checking anything more than any other website.

But you may well be right that it's this initial identifying causing the excessive busyness rather than something downloading.

10. Bob Spiers

Yes I concur and my first posting that it was an IP Lookup tool was incorrect. The FSCDN.ORG domain name is I believe the intellectual reserve of the LDS Church based in Salt Lake City and covers a multitude of associated Domains.

Do you have Family Search set as a Home Page, or one of a set of home pages or do you just click on a tab and go there when ready? I say this because I set up my (8.1) laptop with fs.org as a Home page just as an experiment in Firefox. I notice now that each time I click on Firefox I get the (Well this is embarrassing) message that it cannot load because 'Firefox is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs' (it means family search). It invites me to restore by ticking a box alongside the site name and opting to restore. Once I do this Family Search opens without bother.
    In practice with this happening each time it is the work of seconds to tick and restore and be in the FS web page. But what a palaver! When it was set previously to a different Home page Firefox opened that without bother and when I needed to go to Family Search I would just click on a Toolbar bookmark and go there immediately. So there is definitely something amiss with setting FS as a Home page. I must now see if I get the same reaction with IE which will of course be IE 11.

PS: IE11 on my 8.1 laptop with family search as a home page seems to have no problem with instantly opening family search. Will try another time after a reboot.

PPS I tried clicking on family search in IE10 and got this message after only a momentary delay after FS opened: : Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser. (So your IE11 is right as is another browser by the looks)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. Bob Spiers

A further thought Pauline you can add family search as a trusted site in IE security zone. You can do this via Internet options, Security tab, Trusted sites; click on Sites: enter the familysearch.org address and be sure to precede with https:// (Make sure the require server verification (https) box is ticked).

When back on the trusted site page check what Security setting is selected, should be a minimum of Medium but you may have Medium high selected (your choice). Note also that 'unsigned Active X controls will not be downloaded' applies to both levels. In case it is an ActiveX problem click on Custom level and scroll down to make sure Active X controls and plug-ins are enabled.

It is likely you have covered all this before but if not see if it makes a difference. I have had problems of a slightly different nature by having the security level set too high. I usually opt for Medium but do so in the knowledge I have Norton back up for any rogue visitors, and your problem is not of that sort.

12. Pauline

I have designed my own offline homepage, stored in My Documents, with links to the sites I use regularly. So I just click my link to go to FamilySearch (or wherever) when I'm ready.

I tried yesterday's experiment again today just to ensure it wasn't a one-off fluke, but the same happened.

13. Bob Spiers

I like that idea and quite original.

14. Pauline

On the whole I prefer not to use this feature of IE - even if the host seems trustable, there's always the possibility of a site being hacked. Also, I don't think there is an equivalent in Firefox, is there?

15. Bob Spiers

No there isn't but there is a Firefox security add-on called 'no-script' which is quite a powerful security tool. Have to go out soon so will advise further tomorrow.

16. Bob Spiers

I experimented on an old laptop with Ubuntu Linux (as many before me) and sort of, kind of, liked it, if you follow my drift. (Uncomplicated once you were used to it but did nothing for me). I was recently told I should try Mint Linux and now I see you recommend Debian.

I decided to remove Ubuntu upgrade it to Windows 7 but leave Vista on as a dual boot. I need the latter incidentally for one program (family tree legends in fact) that was designed for Win 98, worked well in XP and tolerates Vista. So I guess I am hooked on Windows.

17. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

Linux mint is actually based on debian (one of the two basic flavours of linux - the other is redhat). It just has its own desktop looks and list of default programs. The thing I like about linux (apart from no cost) is that I can mix and match however I want it.

To get back to Family Search, whether I'm using the link to the old IGI that was in the LC newsletter and or using the latest home page, it lets me use it for one search. But when I start another it puts up a message to say;
    We are unable to display search results due to technical difficulties. Please try searching again in a few minutes.
    This happens every time. Most annoying.

18. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I can see that this would be VERY annoying. Fortunately, it has not (yet) happened to me. Perhaps it is refering to an excessive number of concurrent users and I (in NZ) access that site at quiet times.

19. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

But I am in Australia so the same thing should apply here. It happens to me every time, day or late at night.

20. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I'm still smiling:)