1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Parham

Discussion in 'Suffolk' started by Margery, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

In his latest Newsletter, Peter mentioned that there was a Roll of Honour in a church he visited listing those who served in the Great War whether or not they survived.
    On our first visit to Great Britain in 1991, my husband and I visited Parham in Suffolk, the village of my father's birth. At that stage I hadn't given much thought to family history but visited the church out of curiosity. Imagine my surprise when I found a similar Honour Roll which included my father's name. Of course I knew that he had served in the army and had been wounded and imprisoned but it was a defining moment when I saw his name there.
    Also there were two of his brothers included on the Roll, one, William (whom I didn't even know existed) was killed in action.
    This episode was the catalyst of my foray into family history research.

2. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Fulborn in Cambridgeshire has those who were injured (including my Grandfather) as well as those who died.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps we should start a thread, or forum - how I got started in family history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Good idea - perhaps we could have a sub-forum under Welcome to the LostCousins forums as it would be a great way to encourage new members to post their first message?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1