1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Emigration to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by emjay, Aug 9, 2014.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I am researching the family history of my wife's birth mother. Most of the family (ancestry) is based in Cheshire with some migrations to Manchester. We are finding the Cheshire discoveries especially interesting as we both spent our childhoods there. However, through searching military records, with WWI being a hot topic, I found one Ernest H. Rowbotham leaving his job as a farm labourer in Alderley, to join the 4th Cheshire Regiment in 1900. After training he joined the RAMC and served in the Boer War.
    He was discharged from service in 1913; having completed 12 years he seems to avoided WWI service.

I found him sailing from London for Melbourne 7 Dec 1921, and decided to search sailings in 1922 on the off chance that if he had married, his wife may have joined him later. His wife Ada and their 3 children sailed for Melbourne 8 Nov 1922, which also confirmed a marriage between one Ernest Rowbotham and Ada Higginbotham in Stockport 1911.

If any forum members with access to Australian records wouldn't mind doing a little research, I would love to know what became of them.

Their children: Leslie D (1911), Nellie D (1915), Ernest H 1918

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I'll have a look, emjay. It's a cold and windy Sunday afternoon here so it's a good day to stay inside and do some researching.

3. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I have found the family in Broken Hill NSW.
    On NSW BDM, the is the death of Ernest Harry, reference 15911/1946, with father Hugh and mother Elizabeth Ann. Ada's death, reference 22192/1951, shows father John and mother also Elizabeth Ann - maybe the Informant was mistaken.
    There is a marriage for Leslie H (not D) to Jessie R MALLOCH, reference 6853/1932 and for Ernest Hugh to Olive Elsie PARKER, reference 5406/1941. I couldn't find a marriage for Nellie (in NSW, that is). There are marriages for a Leslie John and a James Ernest in the 1950's, possibly the sons of Leslie and Jessie.
    On Trove in the Barrier Miner dated 1 April, 1940 there is reference to a mine accident in which Ernest is involved. Then his funeral notice is in the same newspaper dated 6 August, 1946. Ada's funeral notice is on 4 September, 1951.
    I looked up the current telephone directory and there are still six ROWBOTHAM families in Broken Hill.
    Emjay, if you look at the BDM site, a word of warning - they have recently changed the database and there are still some things to iron out. When searching a person they require all names of the parties, you only have to put in a wildcard (*) and that will suffice. Also the Range Search default should be YES instead of NO. Also, if you are planning to purchase any certificates I have found the use of a Transcription Agent to be the best option. They are much cheaper and, I believe quicker. Just Google "NSW Transcription Agents" as I don't believe that I should promote one above the other (all good).
    Do let me know how you get on. Cheers.

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Thanks Margery, that's all very interesting. It is a rainy Sunday here in North Wales also, not that I am complaining we have been enjoying a great 2014 Summer in the UK :)

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

The actual search part of the site that Margery mentioned on NSW BMD can be found here.

Select Births, Marriages or Deaths in the drop down box, and follow Margery's words of warnings :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

And there's a post on transcriptions agents here, where members have discussed 3 agents.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1