1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

War identification?

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Carla, May 12, 2014.

1. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I need some help please and am hoping someone knows more about army records than I do? I have been unable to identify my grandfather's WW1 military records but I do know his service number for WW2 and the fact he was a Bombardier in the Royal Artillery Training Regiment. This may sound a silly question but I will ask it :oops:! If you were in a certain regiment in WW1 did you tend to go in to the same one in WW2? I have been told my grandfather was in the Royal Artillery in WW1 and I know he served in Mesopotamia, and Egypt also I believe. Were the regiment numbers from both wars connected? Would I be able to identify my grandfather's records in WW1 from the ones in WW2? This may sound really daft to those in the know but if I don't ask I wont know! I am so frustrated, especially with all the commemorative sites around, that I can include many of my indirect ancestors and yet not my direct ancestor, my own grandfather. I would love some pointers from anyone not hysterical laughing at me right now! :rolleyes:

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Regiments changed frequently as soldiers got promoted, were moved around changed disciplines etc. There is no hard and fast rule. One man may be in the same regiment with the same service number for the entire period of his service, another can have multiple different service numbers during his service. A good friend of mine (co-author of FTAnalyzer)'s grandfather for instance served in both WWI and WWII. He had 4 different service numbers in three different regiments over the period of his army career.

What you can do however is check the FMP newspaper archives for London Gazette they regularly published lists of promotions etc with service numbers. My friend found about 5 newspaper articles about his grandfather and was able to find all of his service numbers.

Also his medal card had all the service numbers on it so you could for instance search the new Lives of the First World War site and check the medal card entries for known service numbers. I'm guessing your grandfather's name was relatively common? Did you know on Lives of the First World War site you can search for say "John Smith 123456" and it will search for a John Smith with that service number. You can then click on the medal card and view details to check it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

Until 1917 I believe the numbers attached to a soldier were Regimental in nature. They changed with the move of a man from regiment to regiment (earlier they had even changed between battalions of the same regiment! ) Six figure universal numbers were applied from 1917 ( gradually I think) and these would likely be the same at the end of World War I for a soldier who rejoined in 1939, always allowing for usual military efficiency.:(

As an 'old sweat' your grandfather may well have stayed with the Training Regiment right through WW2 passing on his knowledge to new recruits.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Carla, I can't help with your question but please don't think you are silly asking it, no-one knows everything and it's only by asking questions that we learn. You have one up on me as I would love to see my grandfather's military record, but sadly I haven't got his medals or his number and with a name like John Edwards from Wales, there isn't much chance of finding him in the records. :(

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thanks for that everyone. My real difficulty is that I haven't got a regimental number for my grandfather's WW1 service, although I believe he was in the RA. Mind you that is what I have been told by my Aunt, and the only thing that seems to substantiate her words are that three of the soldiers with him, in the second photo I have posted, have Royal Artillery Regimental badges on their caps. It's rather hard to see, but I have had a magnifying glass to the original and my husband, who was in the RTR, agrees the badges are RA. If only I could go back in time and tell all soldiers that had photographs taken to wear their caps!! His name was Joseph Charles Martin, born in Mile End, Bow, London, and yes there are a few men with the same initials/name that could be him. Even worse is that he joined under age, his mother managed to get him returned home, and then he rejoined at the proper age. How do you find out which one he is? Certainly I would only be able to be certain if I could find his enlistment papers but obviously many were lost in WW2 bombing and the medal index doesn't help as the information contained is not enough. Did every soldier have their picture taken for identification? I may never be able to be positive I have found my grandfather's regimental details :(

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

RA is Royal Artillery? Did have a rank? And a DOB would have been useful :)

7. Tim

Or do you know where he served? Any clues would be good.

8. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Oops I forgot to add the photos, although I believe I have done so on another thread. I have added them to this post.

I don't have any details of his rank for WW1, although my Aunt seemed to think he was a Sergeant. I really can't prove that, and she could be wrong, but he was not an officer anyway. I know he was a Bombardier in WW2. I also know he definitely served in Mesopotamia and Egypt because my mother spoke a little to Joe about where he was, and she has always told me that. In fact both my Aunts say the same, so hopefully it is something I can rely on? His DOB was 14th October 1898.
    Joseph Charlie Martin WW1.JPG Joseph Martin - front row, first left, kneeling.jpg

9. Alexander Bisset

You don't need his WWI regimental number he should be indexed on Lives under all the service numbers that appear on his medal card. So any one of his service numbers should work. Which service numbers and regiments do you know?

When you go back in time could you instead ask them to put their names on the back of the photos, if you manage to persuade the Victorians to do that it would solve a LOT of mysteries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

A cousin once sent me piece in which an ancestor draws up some New Year resolutions, vowing to give his children common names, never to spell his name the same way twice, to always give a different place of birth etc. etc. I'll maybe seeif i can dig it out - it rang so true!

11. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Sadly I don't have any service numbers for WW1 and I can only go by what I have been told for the regiment, ie Royal Artillery. I cant pinpoint, absolutely, which J C Martin on the medal card index is actually my grandfather as a result. If I had the service records I could look through them and probably work it out but it looks increasingly like my grandfather's records were one of the 'burnt' ones. because he ran away from home and there was a falling out no-one in his sibling's children has any useful information either. They have all said he was never talked about. It's really sad. Out of everyone I have in my ancestral tree he is the one person I so much want to include, especially as I have those two pictures shown in my post above. It's so frustrating.

12. Alexander Bisset

That's not quite what I asked Carla. Do you have ANY service numbers of his? The medal card should include medals he received in WWII and so if you have a service number from WWII then the medal card should have that service number too. Hence the search on Lives would have indexed that later service number.

Are you aware that as a living direct descendant you can apply for his service records from the Army? It does take a while to arrive but would give you everything the army archives have about him from his entire service record that survives. The cost is £30 but since he served in both world wars this could be absolutely invaluable in getting you more information and identifying his WWI service.

BTW my friend the co-author of FTAnalyzer also has Martins from London & Essex so I'm aware of the issues of a relatively common name in London. At least Joseph Charles is rather less common combination than my friend's Henry William Martin, it's only because a wife is Amelia Jarrett which is a lot less common that he's been able to pinpoint stuff.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

Have you got his WW2 record Carla? That may well have details of his WW1 service. It might even be the case that his WW1 record is still with the MOD if he served after 1920 as looks a possibility. The Records people should be able to identify him without the service number as long as you supply such details as date and place of birth and the Next-of-Kin's name and address. as the clincher.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Alexander Bisset

Carla if you haven't already you can obtain his records by getting the consent of any of his children or if none left alive any of the grandchildren (ie: yourself). All the details and the forms to download and fill in can be found at the following UK Government Site.

You'll need to supply a consent form signed by an appropriate person, a death certificate, the request form stating who you want info for and £30. You will then be supplied with his complete record as it survives. Note this can take several months - my grandfather's record took 4 months, although it can take longer where there is lots to search for. However the wealth of information I obtained eg: full details of times and dates of all his postings including time on leave, addresses of next of kin, etc etc are all gold dust for family history enthusiasts so I'd say it was money very well spent.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tim

Lots of great suggestions, well done guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Another potential source of WW1 service numbers, if you can't find it elsewhere, is electoral registers and absent voters lists. This was how I discovered one of my grandfather's service numbers which then enabled me to locate which of many possible medal cards was his. His surname was Shepherd so I had quite a few to choose from.

17. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Thanks for all those suggestions everyone and sorry I haven't been on here but my father is very ill so I have been at my parents a lot. I really appreciate the ideas.

Alexander I did type in my grandfather's WW2 service number on Lives but it didnt come up with anything at all. I am in the process of requesting his service records so we shall see what happens.

Pauline I have tried the absent voters list but then realised my grandfather was not old enough to vote anyway o_O but hopefully the electoral register will help?

Thank you again!

18. Tim

Sorry to hear about your Dad, wishing him a speedy recovery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Sorry - what I wrote before was ambiguous. The absent voters lists are part of the electoral registers and if your grandfather wasn't old enough to vote, and didn't turn 21 during the year covered by a register, then he won't be listed in either the main register or the absent voters list.

Sorry to hear about your father.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I found the piece; it is all over the internet, so it may not be new to you, but I had never seen it before, and it made me smile.

It is New Year's Eve, 1852 and John Smith sits at his desk by candlelight. He dips his quill pen in ink and begins to writes his New Year's resolutions:
    1. No man is truly well-educated unless he learns to spell his name at least three different ways within the same document. I resolve to give the appearance of being extremely well-educated in the coming year.
    2. I resolve to see to it that all of my children will have the same names that my ancestors have used for six generations in a row.
    3. My age is no one's business but my own. I hereby resolve to never list the same age or birth year twice on any document.
    4. I resolve to have each of my children baptized in a different church -- either in a different faith or in a different parish. Every third child will not be baptized at all, or will be baptized by an itinerant minister who keeps no records.
    5. I resolve to move to a new town, new county, or new state at least once every 10 years -- just before those pesky enumerators come around asking silly questions.
    6. I will make every attempt to reside in counties and towns where no vital records are maintained or where the courthouse burns down every few years.
    7. I resolve to join an obscure religious cult that does not believe in record keeping or in participating in military service.
    8. When the tax collector comes to my door, I'll loan him my pen, which has been dipped in rapidly fading blue ink.
    9. I resolve that if my beloved wife Mary should die, I will marry another Mary.
    10. I resolve not to make a will. Who needs to spend money on a lawyer?
    11. I resolve to not clutter up the good farm pasture with headstones that will just get broken or fade with time anyway.
    12. I resolve to protect my family and friends privacy, by giving false names and places for events.
    13. I resolve to never give the correct accounts of misdeeds in the family, so when Uncle Lem shot that fellow and was tried for murder, my children will be told he stole a cow.
    14. I resolve to never trim the family cemetery of brush and tangle weed, to keep out any one doing that silly Genealogical work.
    15. I resolve to always alternate my child's and wife's first and middle names when the census taker comes around, just to give him practice with his spelling.
    16. I resolve to come from Ireland (where there are no records, or, if there are, they can only be examined by visiting the exact village and, pleading with the local clergy, (who is hostile to anyone not of his belief, which of course you are) and/or handing over a fee equal to or exceeding your yearly income for one hour's research which may not find anything.)
    17. I resolve that not only shall I NOT die in my country of birth, nor shall my children (yea verily) unto the sixth generation.
    18. I resolve that I shall call my children by odd names which the enumerator shall spell incorrectly.
    19. I resolve that I shall be absent on the night of the census.
    20. I resolve that if unable to be absent on census night I shall endeavor to be enumerated twice.
    21. I resolve that when I die my children/wife are instructed to give the wrong details for my death certificate.
    22. I resolve that I and most of my family shall die suddenly just before death certifications started to be used, in a parish where easy access to the records ceased the previous year

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1